How tall is too tall?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How tall is too tall?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

How tall is too tall to comfortably drive a model T? My TT is not yet running so I have not been able to drive it yet. I am 6' 3'' and a little worried I will be cramped behind the wheel for any lengthy drives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

I'm 5'11 inches but buff. I can barely squeeze in my 21 speedster. have to take off my shoes and sit indian style to control the pedals!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

That is buff and a bit chubby!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

Jason I'm 5'9 and it is a tight fit in my friend's tt tow truck so at 6'3 you are going to be stiff after a long drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Dang, not what I wanted to hear. I wonder if it makes a difference that I am bean pole? I only weigh 180 lbs which for my height is fairly lean...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

I'm sure you're not the only tall man who rides a T!
Don't give up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:34 am:

If this guy can fit, they can make you fit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:44 am:

I'm an in shape 6'3" 245 lb, long legged, ex-Marine and have no trouble driving my 1926 Coupe. Having only ever owned a drivable 1926 coupe for 45 years, I don't know about other Model T bodystyles or years, so cannot comment on them. My coupe does, however, have 2 seat settings and my seat is set all the way back. Jim Patrick

PS For those of you who know I have 2 Model T's, I do have an unrestored 1926 Fordor which is not yet drivable so I'm am not sure how well I fit in to the driver's seat of that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 01:25 am:

I'm 4'9" and a thin 290lbs. and fit just fine in my TT. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 02:03 am:

What body do you have on the TT? I have seen some with roadsters and Canada Cabs open the door to stretch out and the passenger side leg can stretch across the front. I am also 6'3" and in my 15 touring am relatively comfortably. In the 26 Fordor I work myself in and have minimal room to move. I can stretch the right leg across the front but there is nowhere for the left to go. I have been on some long multi day tours. By the 5th day I am having trouble walking and need more breaks. But I always end these tours looking forward to the chance to drive my T'so. I do look for warmer weather opportunities so the wife will let me take the Touring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 02:21 am:

How much room you have in a TT depends on which one. There are lots of different bodies on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:31 am:

6'3 here and fit perfectly in my 26 tourer. In fact, I feel more refreshed after a long drive in that than I do by driving modern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:17 am:

Jason, I feel your pain. I'm right at 6'3" and 240 lbs and have a enclosed TT cab I will be using. I have yet to sit in one and was wondering the same thing. But I also plan on modifying my cab. It's fairly beat up and rusty. So I have no reservations about modifying it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:31 am:

I'm 6' 1" and pretty dang heavy and I fit in my TT OK. Mine is a Pre-Ford cab made by a coachbuilder. The springs in the seat cushion are really weak. To look at the thing empty, you wouldn't think there's enough room between the seat and the steering wheel for hardly anyone to fit, but I still do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Wow Burger you better lay off the burgers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

So TT means Ton Truck???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Doug gets the Keen Mind Award. How many others missed that ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Last time Burger and I went to eat burgers, he got the gal to make him an ice cream cone that was about 4'9" tall and weighed about 290. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

the tt I have driven height was not the problem and I'm 6-4. Its the round I had trouble getting behind the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Benjamin on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:12 am:

I'm 6'6" and about 210 and fit into my '23 touring car OK. I do have to stop every once in awhile to get out to stretch.

I've never driven a TT so I can't advise you on that.

I have driven a friend's 1912 T roadster and it had more space (i.e. was more comfortable to drive) than my '23.

Good luck!

Rick Benjamin
Lewisburg, PA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:38 am:

With my box cab TT, I have no issues with with height or girth. In fact, I could wear
Abe Lincoln's stovepipe and still have clearance. But my size 13 clod stompers are
a bit cumbersome with the pedals, especially when combat parking. The "enormous"
rear window also makes sighting such backward movements an exercise in spinal stretching ....
sort of like playing Twister, except one could easily punch the truck through the back
wall of the barn. Don't ask me how I know about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:39 am:

At 6'4" and 220, I've never found a stock T I couldn't "fold into ". Last weekend I did encounter a speedster I couldn't fold into that I was supposed to drive. I suppose 40 years ago it might have worked

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:19 am:

I'm 5' 9" and if anything, my '27 touring is a hair big for me. I would think that someone who is "in shape" and 6' 4" would have no trouble in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dan doughty on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

My Son is 6'8" and some how manages to squeeze in my 24 C Cab. He prefers the touring or roadster with the top down, then he sits on a boat cushion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Burger's got it right, ICE CREAM!!! If I'm ever up your way, I'll have to stop by!!
:-)
When I drove the '15 from the Tin Lizzy Inn, as we approached the Yosemite park gate, my foot kicked the coil switch off! Yeah, it's a little tight down there with big feet! The "improved ford" pedals are a lot more convenient!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

That is the only part of the "Improved" that I like ... the extended pedals. The frogeye high
headlight mounting and rounded fenders ruined the Model T aesthetic and just made them a
Model A wannabe. Thank goodness the TT was spared such horrors of "Improvement" ! :-)

Yes, ice cream is a life essential. Give me ice cream, or give me death, I say !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Over the 100 years of the Model T, the vehicles have not changed. But the owners and drivers have. The average weight and height for the 1920's would be around 155-166 lbs with a height between 65 to 70 inches.

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/naldc/download.xhtml?id=IND43861419&content=PDF

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

well Burger being 4'9 you could wear the cat in the hats hat in your truck :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:45 am:

I often do ! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration