Radiator for 1923 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radiator for 1923 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:26 am:

1923 TOURING
Is a radiator from a 1918-1919 the same as used on a 1923 low cowl Touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 10:02 am:

1917 to 1923 low firewall are the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 10:54 am:

All 1923 Fords are low firewall. No such thing as a high firewall 1923 Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

I thought the change was mid year. Maybe I'm wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

When discussing cars, the assumption is model year.

A 1923 model year Ford has a low radiator/hood/cowl/firewall regardless of the month and year (1922 or 1923) it was built.

A 1924 model year Ford has a high radiator/hood/cowl/firewall regardless of the month and year (1923 or 1924) it was built.

It's not complicated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

A high radiator car might be titled as a 1923. The question is Paul's car a high radiator or a low radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

My car is a low radiator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

My high radiator '24 (built in mid January 1924) was (mistakenly) titled as a 1923 in Illinois by the previous owner. I left it alone when I applied for my Missouri title, one less thing to explain. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

All the dancing around the matter of high or low style has missed the main question!
For all practical purposes. the low radiator from about (I am not sure exactly when) 1919 through the end of low style in the latter half of calendar year '23 for the '24 "model" Fords were the same.
Early 1917 model Ford's radiators were unique due to the mounting of a fan shroud which ended before the end of the model year '17. Not that anyone would notice the difference if they saw it without the shroud on it.
1917/'18 and I think (again, not sure myself when?) some of 1919 all had smaller holes in the steel mounting bar (?) that runs through near the bottom of the original radiators (after-market replacement radiators sometimes do not have that steel bar). With the smaller holes they use mounting bolts, and springs like a brass radiator did.
Some time around 1919 they made the holes larger, altered the bolts and springs to fit the added thimbles. This helped protect the radiator from engine vibration and chassis shock.
Most restorers don't pay much attention to that difference. Any '17 through '23 model T Ford radiator can be used on any '17 through '23 Ford car or truck. I have seen many '17/'18 Ts with the later mountings on the radiators, probably mostly because the later radiators are easier to get. I have also seen more than a few later cars with the earlier small bolt hole mountings. Nobody seems to mind.
Go for it Paul!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Mark brings up something; Out here in Califunny, the registration "pink slip" had two boxes, one for Year Model, and one for Year First Sold, which accommodated the mid-year model changes. I've not seen the Year Model filled out lately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Titles and registrations do not determine the model year of a car. The model year is determined by the manufacturer, not the government.

1923 Fords have low radiators. 1923 is an adjective used to describe the model year, not to be confused with a specific point in time or the labeling of the calendar year.

Why folks continuously have a hard time understanding this is beyond me. It's no different than any other model year that does not coincide with the calendar year, regardless of make or model.

If I have a 1917 Ford that came off the line in October of 1916, I don't call it a 1916 Ford, I call it a 1917 and folks have no problem accepting it because 1916 and 1917 Fords are distinctly different.

There's no reason why folks can't have the same understanding regarding 1922, 1923 and 1924 Fords. Each one of these model years are distinctly different:

Again, it is very simple and logical yet so unfortunate that there is such a failure to understand it:

1922 model
all body styles:
- low radiator, hood and cowl
touring and roadster:
- straight up and down, folding windshield
- two-man top

1923 model
all body styles:
- low radiator, hood and cowl
touring and roadster:
- slant windshield
- one-man top
roadster:
- completely revised trunk design

1924 model
all body styles:
high radiator, hood and cowl
touring and roadster:
- slant windshield
- one-man top
roadster:
- trunk same as 1923

Black radiator cars for the casual observer:

1917 through 1922: basically the same
1923: unique
1924 and 1925: basically the same

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

I was going to say something about some of you guys getting off topic and not adding to what he needs to know but I wont because then it would be off topic too. Oh wait..:-)LOL

I forgot about the smaller holes for the non thimble mounted radiators. So it would be about 1919 to 1923.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration