1915 roadster: broken top iron removal?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1915 roadster: broken top iron removal?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

In last May's muddy road adventure when I slid into a tree, the only serious damage was this broken top iron.

I would much rather remove just the two halves of the broken piece for repair than remove the whole top. Just to the right of the tack, where the top material has pulled away, you see the line where the wood is inserted into the iron. It looks like I should be able to tap the iron toward the right with a hammer to remove it from the wood, but I wonder if there are any hidden fasteners holding the wood in there. Maybe somebody who has experience with this can comment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

All I am familiar with is a fastener (screw) at the top. I have seen tapered cylindrical shaped rods inside the irons for support but they were not fastened to anything. In fact, they just rattled around in there. I've seen those mostly in real early tops and buggy tops.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

No hidden fasteners, usually just a tack at the top of the iron. Remove the tack and knock off the iron.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration