Do You Have The Engine Splash Pans Installed?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Do You Have The Engine Splash Pans Installed?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Back when the Model T was produced most roads were dirt/mud affairs with a lot of dust and dirt flying around. Today not so much so. Do you have the engine splash pans installed for authenticity, cooling of the engine area, for cleanliness of the engine compartment or are the hanging on a nail on the garage wall?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schultz on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

I only have one and do have it on. If I had the other side it would be in there too. Why not try and keep it a little cleaner under the hood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

I have a pair of repro ones powder coated and sitting in the basement. Maybe I'll put them on someday.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

One of each. My TT does not have them, mainly because it didn't have them when I got it. I would consider adding them, but just never have. My wife's Touring did have them and it still does. They're good for catching things you drop, but they're also good for catching oil that leaks out of the valve cover.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Hanging on a wall, waiting to be cleaned before re-installing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

I don't even have a set for my RPU It didn't have them when I got it :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

I have the original set on mine. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

One set on the roadster that came with them, another set hanging on the wall for the touring that didn't. Those will go on after the engine/transmission rebuild. They are handy for catching dropped items, and it doesn't hurt to keep some of the mud out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

All of my Ts have both of their engine splash pans. They direct air flow, keep road debris out, and keep loose and fallen parts in. What's not to like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

My previous T had them, they were still on when I sold it. If I were had ever removed them, they would have became garage wall ornaments. They sure made carb work a pain. Especially when having to remove the float bowl along side the road to unstick a float valve. (Not a fun drive that day) I always wondered if the interior of the T would have been any cooler without them...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

My Flivver came with them in a cardboard box in the back seat.
They were pretty rusty, so I never did bolt them on. _Got 'em around here, somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

I am ashamed to say that in 45 years of playing with model Ts, and currently working on my eleventh model T, I have never even had one engine splash pan :-( . Just something that none of the cars I ever bought had one when I got it. And something that I never got around to picking up at swap meets.
I would like to get some for each of the four Ts that I currently have. And maybe even a couple for other project piles I have.
Just me.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

Installed X four T's. Keeps the engin clean and catches tools and the oil cap so saves a lot of money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

I've got engine pans on my MT 500 car. I figure that it gives me two miles an hour on my top speed. :-)

I don't see how they can catch the oil filler cap though. Mine always falls off the cowl right onto the road and gets squished before I can go back to retrieve it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

I must be weird (nothing new there) but I hate the things. Yes they help cooling, yes they "catch things" but often times they also just get in the way. Don't have a single one on my cars, even took 'em off my '13. Don't miss 'em at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Have them on my '27. Not on my '13 because it's RHD and the repos don't fit. I need to make a pair someday

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:56 am:

They are a pain in the ass! Since I don't own a show car, why should I care. I have them on one of my cars, and it collects more oil to clean up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

But, But, But, they are ORIGINAL!

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

By the 30's engine pans on a LOT of T's were removed or either thrown away or wound up hanging on a wall on the farm and eventually thrown away.

Farmer's and the average people who drove them weren't worrying about keeping their cars 'original' as we do these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

There is a reason why we find our cars with out them! An age old discussion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

If they weren't considered necessary, Henry wouldn't have kept installing them! They cost money to produce and to install. Yep, get in the way; when the tabs break off, a pain to deal with, etc. etc.
I suspect this debate will go on as long as the "what oil to use" debate does!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Tom

You have shown us what you really do with the oil cap that makes road retrieval really easy.

Larry
I tend to agree with you about engine pans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

I suspect that they were also intended to protect from the mud and other road hazards prevalent in the day and that is why Ford continued to use them. We don't have that concern nor are we likely to be slogging down a muddy road for 5 miles in low gear where whatever additional cooling effect they provided was necessary. I have 7 sets of them neatly arranged on the wall where they were hung after the first time it was necessary to remove them and that includes the transmission pans on the early cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

You mean there not there to hold the oil can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

They were part of the cooling system too. Some cars still had them into the 30's maybe later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:49 am:

I used to own a '41 Chev pickup, and it had them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:07 am:

I was going to put a set on my car Sat. but the Schebler carb sits too low to used them without cutting 'em up some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

I've posted a WTB on the classified forum. If you've got a set you are not going to use, I'd like to try them on my WWI Light Patrol Vehicles. 26/27 engine on 1915 frame. Let me know what your got and what you want for them shipped to Atlanta, GA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Indian Rocks FL on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

I have them on the '15 and they are there because it came that way...I have no desire to remove them and like Larry says...they seem to be a dust gathering shelf for road dust...and if you have any stray oil up front, it catches it before it flings to the ground...

On the '19, there are no pans...it came that way also and will stay that way simply because I don't want to go through the agro of fitting up repo's (which seem to be generic rather than year specific anyway) and only, only if I found an original set for say 10 bucks would I consider buying a set and even then I think they would hang on the garage wall until a rebuild...

On the '25 Ditto the '19...

On the '26 Ditto the '19...

Fair guess based on experience is that splash pans do not help with heat, nor retain the heat...not in any appreciable noticable way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

Both my 11 and 16 came with splash pans, no plans to remove them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

My 27 had one on it when we got it 50 years ago. It came off for an engine rebuild and never went back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

If Henry liked them; I like ‘em!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

"...nor are we likely to be slogging down a muddy road for 5 miles in low gear..." Oh yeah?

Granted, it was less than a mile, but it was muddy enough.

But the question remains: What kind of oil should I leak on my engine pans?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

My rpu doesn't have them yet but i will be adding a new coated set this winter when work slows down. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Steve,

If you are using original engine pans, then logic dictates that you use original oil.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:24 am:

So I guess the reason the hood shelf mounting bolts are so long is that they are used to hold the pans in place and have wooden blocks below to acting as washers. Or are the blocks put above the splash pans for spacers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

My experience on an early car without the hood louvers running on a very hot day is that they tend to hold the heat inside the engine compartment. Air comes in thru the radiator but has little area to escape.

I now have one on the drivers side and have removed the exhaust side which allows the hot air to flow down and out under the car.
A simple magnet glued inside the oil fill cap will prevent it from loss.
YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

I don't see what the magnet would do - I left the oil cap laying on the pan and it was still there on several occasions. With no pans I would have to leave it somewhere else, and it would be gone.

Also caught the float bowl once when the lower carb bolt / petcock (Wizard carburetor) backed off and let it drop. Lost maybe a gallon of gas before realizing what was going on!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

I have pans, never tried taking them off to see how it affects cooling. Don't have them on the A or V8.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

I use them and they work very well. I removed the tin shield off the lower dashboard as the fan will easily raise the floor mat!! Hard to beat what Henry built!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration