26 Tudor Roof Top Frame question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26 Tudor Roof Top Frame question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Can someone tell me if there is anything that goes between the wood around the top of the car for the roof and the steel top. When I removed the old roof, it seems like there was some sort of sealer, like roof tar, stuck to the bottoms of frame pieces. Thanks for your help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Nothing but some sealant on the outside edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Thanks Don.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Rand, I found the same when I did my Tudor. I just used black roofing sealant around the perimeter as Don describes. I'm sure some oozed to the steel frame and would appear like the tar did if someone replaces in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:22 am:

John, Thanks for your response. I'll take a look at the roofing sealant. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Loctite pl-s30 works great. Cures to a soft rubber and adheres to anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

I would not use roofing tar; if it ever gets too hot etc, it might spoil your headliner or upholstery. I would use a seam sealer (used for sealing body seams before painting), or "dum-dum"--that's all I know it by; it comes in a rope or in ropes linked together (you have to separate them) and is usually grey in color--it never hardens completely, but does stay put once installed. I used it some40 years ago to seat the belt rail wood on my Model A and it's still doing the job!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration