Start without exhaust manifold

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Start without exhaust manifold
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Can I start my T without the exhaust manifold on??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

You would need to make up something to clamp the inlet manifold in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

I did that 40 years ago and am still fine. It is noisy and I wonder if the valves can cool too quickly and warp.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Valves can cool too quickly and warp. Several variables (metallurgy, duration, temperature, humidity) will decide how quickly and how badly they may warp. But once done, they are about done.
Years ago, some friends had a speedster with short stacks for the exhaust. They made up some plugs that they kept with the car at all times, and would place into the stacks quickly when they shut the engine off. If you want to do this, remember that as the internal air cools, it shrinks, creating a very low pressure inside the stack. It COULD suck the plug inside and become difficult to get out. They had been warned of that possibility (by a professional dragster racer), and made sure their plugs could not get stuck.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Myself I suspect the cold air warping valve theory is a myth.. If you take the manifold off most engines without changing the jetting of the carb, the result will be a leaner mix due to less backpressure, making the engine run hotter and in some cases warping the exhaust valves since they're the hottest part in an engine.

With a Model T, the main jet is adjustable, so making the mix a little richer would reduce the risk of warping valves to nearly zero (there's always some risk remaining that anything can break in a 90+ year old car at any time..)

(Message edited by Roger K on August 19, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Roger
I think I agree with you. In my youth I drove Ford Flathead V8's. If you ran open mufflers you had to increase the carb jets by a size or two to prevent eating up the exhaust valves

Back to your T engine. I sure wouldn't worry. Lots of guys have run really OPEN exhaust systems with no problems (including myself). Just don't run too lean

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

And avoid running with the ignition retarded - that will also heat up the exhausts really fast..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

OT, but I wonder if these guys have the issues you mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TV2l6TOuGA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

Yes, you can run an open exhaust on something that is'racey'. But, had in my newby T days 35 years ago asked one of my mentors if I should start up a stock T without an exhaust manifold on it I can imagine the reaction.My favorite reaction I can think of would be from an old boy that was a WW1 Belleau Wood Marine-nicknamed the devil dogs by the Germans. It would go something like this:what the**** would you want to do that for? How *** **** dumb are you, for ******'*sake?And he raced, including a Hisso(not Clarence Delagranges)in the 20s. I was on here for a number of years, say '08-11.I love to be helpful to newbies that have basic assembly/driveability problems. One of the things that ran me off was a bunch of inane horse**** that had to be put on here by people that wanted to see the reaction. I could name a few things, but I have said enough.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration