OT We started a Metz today!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT We started a Metz today!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

This morning 4 of us discovered a 1911 Metz belonging to a nice lady. She had some questions and hoped we could see if it would run. The plugs were pulled and cleaned. A little oil put down the cylinders. Yep, the magneto had some spark. Now some gas squirted into the carburetor. After several turns with no results we put some gas in one cylinder. Another couple of turns and it took off running. What a thrill and a great way to spend the morning.
The car looked like an original car that was restored in the 60's or so. It has been repainted. The old tires were flat and probably don't have any more miles in them.
An ad was placed on the AACA site:
http://forums.aaca.org/topic/281258-1911-metz-excellent-condition/
I wasn't particularly helpful with pricing advise but know many of the forum members do know Metz cars. If you have constructive comments I will pass them on to her. I also have linked this ad in the Classifieds.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Too bad the tires were shot, or you could have tried out the friction drive.

I wish I could own and tinker with a friction drive car, but that one is priced well out of my reach. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

About a month or so ago, I was the high bidder on one (ebay) at around $9500.00 If I recall correctly. That was lower than the reserve and when I talked to the seller (in Portland) he said $16,000.00 was what it took to buy it. More than I wanted to commit.
Oh, that car also didn't run, was a museum car, and sold by a bill of sale. Yours looks more complete.

Any way thats my story and I still don't know what the real value should be.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

A running 1914, for sale 6 years ago, guess it's sold by now.

Big friction drive wheel :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:08 pm:

I believe the body on the 1911 Metz has been butchered.

It appears that someone has lowered the seat and the rear deck is not correct. The seat might actually be from another make of automobile as it seems too wide.

The geometry is not right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:13 pm:

Thanks for the comments. I think any pricing information will be helpful. I did get a chance to look at the friction drive and it looks pretty wonderful. It looks simpler and cheaper to build than the Ford planetary. Apparently there were some bugs in the system as it didn't become popular. As a Model T guy I always enjoy seeing the competition.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:22 pm:

Here is another seat pic. It doesn't have the tubing rail other Metz's have but I thought that was maybe a year change. The wood in the bottom could be 100 years old. Any info like that would be good to know. Thanks Erik.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:47 pm:

I believe the windshield is an aftermarket accessory, but a good one to have!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:46 am:

This car is not a 1911 Model 22. The Model 22 was introduced in (I think) April of '11 as a 1912 model. The shift (control) lever was on the outside of the body as shown below:

Metz moved the lever to the center of the car for the 1913 model year. In their ads they called it Center Control.

This car has the "second" brake pedal, the one in the center of the inclined floorboard. This feature did not appear until the 1914 model year and, it seems, not all cars received it. It may have been an option. This "second" brake pedal is standard on the Model 25 introduced for 1915.
Both chain guards are missing as is the flywheel guard. I can't tell it the transmission guard is present. It engine guard is there.
The gas tank is mounted in a not standard position, way too low. The tool box is incorrect as are the lamps and the horn.
A Cambridge style windscreen is the factory offering and not the brass one fitted with its cowl adapter and the switch board is not original either.

A modified car and possibly built up from an incomplete vehicle. It IS good looking though and likely will provide many miles of enjoyable motoring, but I don't think $30,000.00 worth. My two cents worth and perhaps that is over valued. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Thanks for your input Bill. I will pass this information on to the owner. I have little information on Metz. 1911 was on some early registration documents but much of the history of this car has been lost. Getting the real story of this car will help all concerned. Whatever changes were made to this car were done with care and make it look very original to we who don't know otherwise.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration