Driving Lesson and First Open Road Drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Driving Lesson and First Open Road Drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Today I was able to get behind the wheel of a T out on the open road. A fellow named Brent who I met only on Monday was very happy to let me drive his 27 Touring. He picked me up in his Model A Tudor, we swapped cars a little ways down the journey, then we went to a private road where I first got behind the wheel. After a bit of practice, I then took it out on the public road and was able to find a stretch where I could cruise along at 55-60 km/h.

After a bit of stress and him working the throttle for me at first, I soon got the hang of it and relaxed and really enjoyed myself. The steering was heavier than I anticipated, but the braking wasn't as bad as I thought. The 1914 Touring I drove at a show earlier this summer had much lighter steering and similar braking power, though I only stayed in low gear in that car mind you.

Fellows like him really help the hobby out. I am already excited for the day I get my own car, but getting to drive one in traffic definitely seals the deal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Ryan the earlier Model T's have 30 X 3 front tires which give a much lighter feel to the steering. Sounds like you had a great day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Keep working towards that dream. It will happen. There's nothing like it when it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 19, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

I haven't been to your part of Alberta, but I would guess there are some good Model T roads around there. I expect you'll have a grand time when you get your T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration