Cleaning a horn motor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cleaning a horn motor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 09:42 am:

The horn on my '27 sounds like an anemic Frog (when it decides to work at all). I have taken it apart and it's full of oil and crud. The horn is made by E. A. Laboratories of Brooklyn, NY. What can I use to clean the armature and brushes? I'm tempted to use spray carburetor cleaner, but I don't want to hurt the brushes or any insulation.
Ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Hi John,

I have used carb and/or brake cleaner on horn motors with no problems resulting. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:06 am:

I would use electrical cleaner. It's made for cleaning contacts and motor windings etc. It should be in the same area in your parts store. Do not use lacquer thinner it will remove the varnish from the wires in the armature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:59 am:

I like this stuff on electrical parts, but be warned use it outside, it does have a powerful odor:-)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Electronic-Cleaner-11-Oz./16817418

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Thanks to all who responded. I think that I will head to Wally World this PM and see if they have the CRC Electrical cleaner in stock. If not, I'll use carb cleaner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

Both cleaners will strip the oil out of the bushings so remember to let the cleaner evaporate and then re-lubricate them.

-Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Carb cleaner may effect the lacquer insulation on the motor, I would NOT recommend its use!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

TV and radio tube cleaner works great

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration