What have I done...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What have I done...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

I have always admired steam cars from afar, but dont really know much about them. I was at the Owls Head Transportation Museum and just bought a 1923 Stanley at their auction.

I thought driving a T was a different experience, the steamer has more valves and gauges than I can count.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Congratulations! Pictures, please! :-)

If you haven't already seen it, here is a link to a video on Jay Leno's 1922 Stanley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnab5sG9PQs&list=PLcAFCEDZU39xnx1gf8_9EDKX-0kVBJ XfJ&index=6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

I second the vote on pictures please :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

I think this must be the one:
http://owlshead.org/auctions/detail/1923-stanley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Did it come with a connection to clean carpets? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

Will,

That is the car. It was represented as a mice driver. It is shinny but there are enough nicks and chips that I won't worry driving it around.

I have no idea how to fire it up, but I hope to have it sorted out and bring it to 2017 Old Car Festival.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Iv always wanted to have a steam car, Maybe someday when I hit the lottery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

For directions on how to fire it up, consult "Smog-less Days, My Adventures with a Stanley Steamer" by a Dr. ???? I forget! There's an entire chapter there!
First thing to suggest, be patient, especially with the first fire-up. Also, make certain to have enough water in the boiler, you don't want to scorch the tube sheet until you've been around the Stanley for a while!!!
I'm in Will's shoes, now that I no longer have a steam car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

I never owner a stanley but have driven two yes they are different animal
I've wanted a steal car or traction engine since a was little boy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Oh, and if your eyebrows weren't trimmed before, they will be afterwards!!! :-)
Steam Car owners, the only ones who set their cars on fire to go for a drive! :-)
Welcome to an affliction at least as bad as the Model T Fever! But a much smaller group!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Sir,Is a event with 10,911,and 43 people the place to learn how to operate a steam car??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Kenneth,

I wouldn't bring it to OCF until I was familiar with all of its inner workings and hidden movements, which is why I was suggesting 2017 OCF 13 months from now.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Ken,
I think he said he hoped to have it sorted out before the event! And yes, it would be best to learn with some experienced steam car folks around--it IS a fairly complicated proceedure, but becomes "simple" with learning. "Simple" is a relative term here!!
:-)
And they do drive much differently than an internal combustion engine; that part also takes a bit getting used to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

I am not generally that way by my nature? However, right now, I am ENVIOUS!
Beautiful car! Show cars are for people with more money than brain anyway. (Please, NO offense intended toward anybody? :-) Well, maybe a little? ;) )

First advice. Get to know as many people in the steam car crowd as you can. Listen to them ALL! Just don't believe everything you hear.
I know a few steam aficionados. One of my long-time best friends was a judge at Pebble Beach a couple years ago when they had a special steam car class.

Steam cars can flare up, sometimes do need to have the hood repainted, and special attention must be paid to them at all times.
They almost never blow up (unless you do something really stupid) and are as much fun to have as ANY antique or collector automobile.

I have never driven one, although my friend did try to talk me into it and offered several times (I have never really liked to drive other people's cars?).
I hope you keep the car for a LONG time, and enjoy it fully, and often.
Drive carefully, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Nice car. I am with Will about buying one when I hit the lottery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

Sir,I stand corrected and hope to see it someday! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Bud,

If you make it to OCF 2017, and I have everything figured out, we should go for a ride. I was told at the Stanley Museum in Kingfield Maine that there are no documented Stanley Steamer boiler explosions, and because of that the boilers do not require annual certification. I will have to confirm that is true.

I have a lot to learn about the car and it's operation, I bought it to learn. It seams there are several steam people in MI, and I have begun the process of reaching out to them.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Joe,

Congratulations! As many other have said -- don't experiment -- get some training and help.

Just like a T is safe to use. But if someone unfamiliar with them purchased one and hand cranked it with the spark advanced it probably would try to bite them. A learning experience yes, but a happy ending -- maybe not.

I love the look of the boiler etc under the hood.

Again great looking car and from the write ups it should be in great mechanical shape.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 09:03 pm:

http://www.stanleymotorcarriage.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 01:12 am:

Joe,
Is that the car? Beautiful workmanship under the hood, and it looks like the 9 passenger body; very, VERY, cool!
I don't have my Stanley books handy, but if memory serves me, you light that pilot light from the side (access door on the apron maybe??) and it might have the electric heater on the pilot light vaporizer, although most folks prefer to use a small torch. You will find the brakes a LITTLE more adequate than the Ts, but not much! :-) Maybe the owner did some extra work on them, the description seems to indicate he was meticulous (as does the under hood view above--although I hope those are flare copper fittings I'm seeing, and not compression ones; which may just be my personal preference).
As for boiler explosions; I read that the Stanleys decided to test one; normally the boiler safeties are set at 600 lbs (in most cases, there are differences). they set a boiler in a shallow pit, and then went back a distance and pumped it up, and up and up and at something like 1,200 lbs decided to check it out--it was just leaking all over the place at the tube sheets (top and bottom sheets of the boiler. A very safe design when in good condition!
And no, you don't need a special license to drive one!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:54 am:

You guys are missing the question he asked in the title.

I am willing to assist you.
Newfields NH is a few hours south of Owls Head so I can pickup the car for you.
I am willing to put my wife's van in the drive way and keep it in the garage for a few years.
I will promise to figure out how to drive it and take it for spin at least 3 times a month.
I will also have my wife remove the dust from the surface twice a week with one of those dusters that are guaranteed to not produce scratches.

You can visit your car anytime you want but I will need at least a weeks notice because my wife (a gourmet cook) insists on preparing a seven course meal every time someone visits.
Her cooking passion gets in the way when someone comes to help me work on the T or A because she insists that we spend a couple hours eating and drinking.
This is usually followed by A nap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Joe
Forty years ago Tom Ackerman out of South Jersey showed me how to run a Stanley that was earlier than yours. Quite an adventure, but lots of fun. Had forgotten it entirely until Jay Leno gave his demonstration on the above video. Jay is a very nice guy and I bet if you contacted him he would give you a personal lesson.
Jon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Joe: What you have done is to make the rest of us dream that someday we might get the privilege of being the caretaker of one!... Congrats :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:50 am:

David,

That is the car. There are a little over a dozen pictures of it on the museum website. The pictures we took are on my wife's phone.

http://owlshead.org/auctions/detail/1923-stanley

We left it at the museum and will have to arrange for a carrier to pick it up this week. We are on the road driving back to MI today. (My wife is driving, I am not posting and driving)

Fred,

Your post made me smile. If you are ever in MI we should go for a ride.

Jon,

I doubt you remember me but we have met in person. I took a look at the touring car you were considering selling. Jay seems like a great guy, have you met him?

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Now you can go out and blow off a little steam and not get into trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:32 am:

SMOGLESS DAYS was written by Stanley Ellis, an Episcopalian minister who lived a block and a half from me in Newton, MA (home of the Stanley Steamer) many years ago. Upon the suggestion of someone on this forum, I bought the book. Sadly it is packed up for our impending move to Florida. I wonder if the Owl's Head Stanley ever belonged to Father Ellis? (we all called him that) The name Packard does ring a bell, I'm sure that he was mentioned in Ellis' book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:36 am:

My dad has been a car person with a passion for Model As his whole life. When I bought my T he thought it was too impractical compared to an A. Crank start, poor brakes, low power. When I said I was going to this auction to potentially get the steamer, he said I was being silly and it was even more impractical than the T. Of course it is, that's part of the charm.

I spent some time at the Stanley Museum in Kingfield Maine prior to buying this car. The volunteer I spoke with knew the previous owner and spoke highly of his capabilities. The volunteer regularly fires the cars at the museum and they had a similar condensing car at the museum so I asked him to walk me through the firing procedure, which he did. As he moved me through the steps, before going to the next one he would always say, assuming everything goes right, next you... I got the distinct impression everything doesn't always go right. He did have bushy eyebrows so it had to have been a while since he was flashed.

This will be fun.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:50 am:

John,

I checked the stanley register and Father Ellis is not listed as a previous owner of this car, but you never know.

http://www.stanleyregister.net/1923.html

I Googled smogless days on my phone, but haven't found a copy of the book for sale yet.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Amazon and other online book sellers carry it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Thanks Mark. Ordered it on Amazon.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

"I got the distinct impression everything doesn't always go right."
Joe, you are going to make a GREAT steam car owner, as you have just learned the first lesson!!
:-)
I am jealous of you, BTW!!! I only own a Stanley Engine (1915 20 HP) and now I am considering selling it, although the car it came out of still exists, but with an "in the crate" engine changed out back in the 1960s and I can't find that car, or I'd try to get the current owner to take this engine back, just to keep it with its original car (which is a neat white roadster with a later (flat) condenser on it).
You will love Rev. Ellis' firing up directions! Actually, you will love the whole book, it's a great read. My copy is also in a box somewhere. There are a few other books on Stanleys you'll want to acquire, along with all the Clymer books too (about 3 of them, I think). One of the books I just got recently is "A Tale of Two Dobles" by Barry Herbert; I think Owl's Head sells it. Out here on the west coast a great guy to know is Pat Farrell, who drives around in a neat blue 10ph Stanley roadster; non-condensing (I don't remember the year model). And, yes, the Doble is almost a horse of a different color, the technology is that different!
Oh, and join the Steam Automobile Club of America; I'm not a member at present, but they're a great group of folks and a source of LOTS of information.
I know it's OT, but I hope to hear lots more about your adventures with it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

It arrived this afternoon. (a little ahead of schedule)

Now the fun begins. I will start a separate OT post as I work out the kinks. The dark spots on the body are shadows from the tree above.

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

It said it was a MICE driver. Need pics of mice! Lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

To Joe Fedullo, I am insanely jealous of your purchase!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

Congrats Joe. Great looking car. Cannot wait to see it in person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Joe,add me to the list of the envious. I would encourage you to get together with Mike May up at Northport,Mi.He bought my Stanley literature. He reproduces some parts. I do not recall what. I still have some steam car literature left.Packed away somewhere. Came from James Melton via a fellow named Stanley Alred from Huntington Ind.Stanley was a steam car enthusiasts enthusiast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

Fill her with water...light a fire and see what happens! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration