Hub and Fellow question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hub and Fellow question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

So, can a good steel fellow front wheel be used in the back by removing the front hub and replacing it with a rear hub and brake drum?

And ... can I send a good steel fellow from one wheel with a good hub from another to one of the wheel rebuilding services. Assuming they are from the same manufacturer ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Makes no difference if you have a front or rear hub in a demountable wheel.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on August 20, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

Sorry for the thread drift. Somehow I was inspired.

Erik J pretty much answered the question anyway.

The fellow with the felloe, fell on the felley, then spoke to me.

Rim shot.

Don't know where that came from? But I hope it can go back!

Have a wonderful day all! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Mark,

Erik is correct that the hubs can be swapped as they are the same size. Note the hub bolts for the rear wheel with the drum are a little longer.

Also, be sure to have the felloes all be able to accept the same type of rim. So you only have to carry one spare. There has been more than one Model T driver that was surprised to find out that there spare tire & rim did not fit all of the felloes on their car. In addition to the various Ford supplied rims and felloes, Chevy and other cars also used 30 x 3 1/2 rims but in the case of Chevy, the valve stems are in a different place and one lug on a fixed lug rim will have an opening to help make it easier to mount onto the Chevy felloe. Please see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/667909.html for a recent discussion.

With a 1919 speedster you could even have the 21 inch balloon tires on your speedster. They also came in various types, but fewer types than the 30 x 3 1/2 inch clincher rims and felloes.

Good luck.

Wayne -- yes a "Rim shot...."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

Whoops ... yes ... felloe ... damn spell check.

Anyway ... thanks all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:05 am:

We didn't completely answer your question.

I believe by the time demountable wheels were introduced in 1919, Ford manufactured all the hubs, not outside concerns or the wheel suppliers.

In other words, you don't have to match specific brand of hub to a specific brand of wheel. Additionally, 1911 through 1927 wood wheel hubs are basically interchangeable regardless of manufacturer even though they may have cosmetic or mechanical differences (such as front hubs designed for ball bearing vs front hubs designed for roller bearings, short hubcap threads vs long hubcap threads, speedometer gear shoulders, etc.). So, again, you don't have to worry about who made what unless you are a purist.

Someone who is more knowledgeable can chime in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:35 am:

It seems like I read before that at sometime in the 20s the Society of Automotive Engineers made it to where hubs from all cars would interchange. I know I put T wheels on Overland hubs once and they fit. I think the Overland rims were straight sided and hard to find but I had some T wheels already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 01:12 am:

Last Sunday, I had my dad's 1917 Ford parked a few cars away from the 1924 Overland 91 touring shown below.

The Overland had 31 x 4 straight side tires mounted on four-lug demountable split rims. Therefore, the Overland wheels are the same diameter as a Model T Ford demountable clinchers - 23 inches:

31 - 4 - 4 = 23
30 - 3.5 - 3.5 = 23

The owner of the Overland actually said that the wheels were interchangeable with Model T Ford wheels. Overland probably used some of the same wheel manufactures as Ford. Because both wheels have the same number of spokes (12), they have the same number of hub bolts (6), one bolt located between every other spoke. In order for such a swap to work, not only would the bolt holes need to be the same distance from the center of the hub in order to exactly line up, the the diameter of the Ford hubs and Overland hubs would have to be the same.

If Overland and Ford wheels can easily interchange, in my opinion that is probably coincidental rather than intentional.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration