Tanked out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tanked out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

I've had a lot of fun the last couple weeks in my 26 roadster pickup. Beating up and down the county roads proved to much for old tank . Paint and fiberglass hides a lot under the dash. I was told tank leaked at top so I only put 2 or3 gallons in at a time but today I smelled gas when rolling down the road.
You guessed it rust out. It has several repairs and none are good. I haven't been able to find a new tank. Does anyone sell them? Looking for a good used one seems like crazy talk.
Any help would be great
Thank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

From your profile I see you have a 26 pickup. Unfortunately, no-one makes new tanks for the '26 - '27 vehicles. I'm afraid you are stuck trying to find a used tank in usable condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

I was afraid of that. I guess cleaning the fiberglass off and what looks like the caulk used on body seams of newer cars and see how bad it is. Maybe I can cut out the bad and install new as needed. Time consuming but trying to find a good used one will probably take longer if even possible. On a good note I can now make the repair on radiator that Ive put off because I was driving it. Leaking gas above a hot motor can't be put off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

Just lost 2 young people last week when the 22 year old tried to weld on a motorcycle gas tank. It exploded and set the shop on fire. a friend tried to get him out, also caught on fire and died 5 days later in MNPLS. I thought everybody knew not to weld on a gas tank! A local welding expert here told me he cleans it out as well as he can, fills them with argon gas, and gets himself right with God before he tackles them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

This is something i have always wondered about, with the ability of our vendors to produce just about anything we desire as T owners, why is the 26-27 gas tank something that is considered taboo, and not worthy of making? Is it the fact that it was only a two year production and you can't make bank on that, or does it have to do with the fact that it was placed under the dash, and the liabilities it faced wasn't worth making such an item?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:15 am:

I took a tank out of a 47 International and took it to a radiator shop to get it boiled out or whatever they do and it had a bunch of holes. They sent it off to somewhere in Houston and they patched it up and coated the outside, maybe the inside too and guaranteed it for life I think. Can't remember how much it cost but it was in 95 and it still looks just like it did when I got it back. I filled a T tank with water and brazed it before but when the water got just a little below the hole and I hit it with a torch it shot fire out. I can see how it would be like a bomb then I kept finding more holes and got another tank. I worked at a sheet metal shop for a while and they made gas tanks. I remember a guy brought in a 30s or 40s car tank once and we made an exact copy baffles and all but no telling what it cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Try this link to Model T Haven:

http://www.modelthaven.com/cars-post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis E. Towle on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:48 am:

Someone really needs to start making the 26/7 tanks. Even without baffles - whatever...

Travis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:51 am:

My cousin put a hose on the tail pipe of his truck and the other end in the gas tank and went to welding, this works or he was lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Does coating the tank inside work ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Maybe this place can help:
http://www.gas-tank.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Dallas, I think if you put an oval tank under the seat you'll be safer and faster repair than original under the dash. I think it all depends on how fussy you are about originality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:26 am:

I have 2 tanks that I believe are good. If interested I could fill with water and check them for leaks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Jim that would be great
I'm in indiana
Mine is beyond repair

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Jim
Sent you PM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

The round and oval tanks have quite simple shapes that can be made without costly special equipment, while the asymmetrical '26/'27 under dash tanks may need very expensive sheet metal tooling to make just right - and since they fit in a very tight place, they have to be made just right.
Cost for tooling may make them so expensive that few would/could buy them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

I have heard good things about this process, but have no personal experience. They have dealers all over.

http://www.gastankrenu.com/index.htm

Best regards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

I have welded tanks that were fully cleaned and then filled with exhaust from my car without incident. First I have the tank dipped at a radiator shop then I make sure the tank is filled with exhaust and all the air is out and I keep running the exhaust into the tank continually while welding. I was told that by doing that there is no combustable left in the tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

http://billings.craigslist.org/pts/5691411945.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

Thanks Ed
That's a nice one, but I have made a deal with Jim from reed city MI .
Thanks Jim I'll see you in a week or two. I can't wait to see your T's and the truck your working on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Will. Thank you for that link regarding fuel tank repair. I need a tank repaired for my 29 Chandler.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration