At the Gas & Steam Engine Show

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: At the Gas & Steam Engine Show
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:43 am:

Yesterday I drove up to the county seat for the tractor show at the fairgrounds. The HCCA group from Wichita comes to the show on Saturday, and I parked with them.

Vinnie wanted a ride, so we drove around the grounds and looked at the tractors.

More pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/steve.jelf/media_set?set=a.10202453768943554.1073741933.1774163394&type=3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Some 20 years ago at a gas engine and steam show is where I got my first ride in a T, Guess that's how it all started for me! I had a display of hit and miss engines running and this guy in a Model T stopped to look at my engine and offered me a ride. I was hooked from the start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

We just got back from the old engine show at Buckly,Mi after 4 days.Two steam trains,a steam building with a large running Corless,and about 15 steam traction engines.Many Model T tractor conversions,several doodle bugs many flavors.Many model TT trucks and the same of model AA's.We used to take our 14 but the powers that be wanted old cars/trucks/and doodle bugs static display only.Meanwhile 11,479 golf carts run non stop!! Maybe a handicapped sticker for the old T?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

The first Model T I ever got close to was a TT at an engine and tractor show about 30 years ago. I have owned that very truck now for several years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Vinnie is a lucky little boy to have a friend like you to take him around in a Model T. Did he make any comment about riding in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

Good job Steve! I like to take time with any of those little guys that show any interest in our old cars too! You reminded me of something I "experienced" recently:

Wish I knew how to post a picture, but I don't, but here's what happened anyway,.....

Most every Friday night about a mile from where I live, there is a "cruise-in" at a nice little restaurant that is owned and operated by a couple of nice folks that are real "car people"! This fellow actually built a beautiful about a 2/3 size replica of a typical '50's vintage Sinclair Gasoline Station that he has displayed on one side of the his restaurants' large parking lot. Even has the "ding-ding" hose that you drive across to get the attention of the gas station attendant!

Anyway, this weekly "cruise-in" is a really fun thing that usually has just about every kind of vehicle you'd want to see. A "something-for-everybody" kinda' thing. So here comes a grandpa' like me, with a little boy about 8 years old who just loves cars. Especially old cars. He asked me some very intelligent questions and I took time to explain as best I could and he just became more and more interested. Especially when I explained that my Model T was called a "depot hack", and how that name eventually became the term "station wagon" which is a term that millions of people have been using for a lifetime but didn't really realize that "station" meant the same as "depot", as in "railroad depot" or, "train station". And by the way, the G'pa was as surprised at that little "history lesson" as the little boy was. Anyway, I showed them how I could start the "depot hack" with either hand crank, or the "new-fangled" electric starter. When I said to them, how'd ya' like to go for a little ride, that little guy's face lit up like Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas all at once! Took him and G'pa for a ride around the adjacent neighborhood, and, still with that huge grin on his face, the little boy, sitting next to me in the front seat said, ...... "WOW!!! .... I can't believe I'm REALLY getting to do this!!!"

Sure made my day,.... I can tell ya' that! And G'pa was pretty happy too! To me, these are the kind of things that happen that really make our hobby fun!

For what it's worth,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Dennis, I guess you could say he commented. About an hour ago his dad told me he's still talking about it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

What Vinnie wants, Vinnie gets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

I had a kid like that come up to me at a car show where I had my TT. This kid asked very intelligent questions and you could tell he had a genuine interest. He'd get his fill and wander off and a few minutes later, he'd come back because he had thought of some other intelligent questions to ask. He did this off and on all day. I was really impressed with his questions and thought process. I told him that if it were OK with his folks, I'd let him drive the TT after the show. The boy was probably about 12, but the show was at a fairground and there was a huge grassy field out back where he couldn't get in trouble, so I took him out there and we swapped places. He had a blast. I looked for him the next year, but didn't see him. That's been several years ago and he's probably grown now. I have little doubt that if he can afford one, he'll have a T one day.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration