I wish a misinformed person with cash would stop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I wish a misinformed person with cash would stop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

I was out on my front porch working on my vacuum cleaner and a friend of my ex wife's son stopped, about 30 yrs old. I have a bare T chassis, no motor I pulled around front the other day and he said,"do you know how much that is worth?" And I answered about 150 dollars. He told me he had been going to auctions and it was worth 5 to 10 thousand dollars. I'm ready to take it to the auction! I told him I have 2 over there you can get in and drive, might be worth 7 or 8 thousand for both. Maybe I'll sell them and go buy a Duesenberg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

And why not, some others in that age group think and pay $80,000+ for VW combi vans around this end of the world, so a T chassis has gotta be worth big dollars! Hot rodders love'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Keyword, ( Ex Wife) nuf said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

There is a sucker born every minute.

If he chooses to be stupid there is little you can do.

I knew a guy that sold shoes.
Someone came into his store and found a pair that he really liked.
When he learned the price he said that he would never purchase shoes that cost so little.
My friend told him to wait a minute, went into the back room and got a box with the identical shoes.
He told the guy that these cost 50% more and the guy bought them.

Stupid is as Stupid does.
My wife would have tried to talk the guy down from the first price or as a minimum get a free can of polish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

When I first pushed out with the Marines, there was an odd animosity towards me from
the grunts. Not long into it, while in the chow hall, something came up that caused me
to ask if there was a problem. A couple of the grunts said it was a general resentment
towards us contractors making "big bucks" while they got "squat" for combat duty pay.

"Big bucks ! How much do you think I make ?" I asked. Guesses tossed out ranged
from a half to a full million dollars a year !!!! When I told them I made a whopping $12.44
an hour, and my TCNs made $2-$4 an hour, they were shocked. I knew some IT and high
end mgmt. type contractors that made big bucks, but few of them came close to the lower
guess.

Anyway, ... not sure where they got the idea we were rolling in green rectangles, but
once they knew we weren't, we were accepted as part of "the gang".

Cars of the Model T era are pretty special in today's world and few under-50 people
really know much about them. They just think they are "exotic" and therefore "must" be
worth lots of money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:02 pm:

Will has it. The guy thought he was yanking yer crank. Probably went back to the Son and reported in. She'll hear about it soon enough. Tryin' to find out what you've got layin' around $ wise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

From the prices of some Tís listed on eBay, I think some T owners also think their cars are worth a small fortune!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

I was always told that something is worth whatever people will pay for it. That has recently been replaced by "it's worth what I saw on American Pickers."

Whenever somebody says their item is worth more than I'll give I just tell them "I hope you get it" and walk away. The hobby is struggling to get new people interested because too many people look at these cool old things and see dollar signs, so nobody can afford to just stumble into it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George N. Lemperes on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 10:03 am:

I have several opinions on this. I think ebay has done tremendous harm to the hobby. I used to have some success buying needed parts on ebay but for several years now I haven't won an auction because someone has dropped a last second bid and won the auction. I saw, in one case, a person pay in excess of $1,300 for a carburetor. While I can't say I felt sorry for them, I do feel bad for those of us who don't have a room full of cash to pay such exorbitant prices and are left with our cars incomplete or missing crucial parts. I also had an experience with an individual who is known to have many good quality parts in their possession that I had sent a list of needed parts to help complete my car. They responded by saying that he didn't have any of these parts at that time. less than a week later, they listed at least one of those parts on ebay. I assume so that they might get more money for it. While I don't begrudge anyone getting the most for a part, I do feel that it disqualifies many now and in the future from taking part in what I feel is the best hobby there is. Don't even get me started on those people who have these hard to find parts on their mantle who do a "show and tell" and will not even consider selling it to you even if it is the last part you need to complete your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:18 am:

TCN ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

To anyone that feels bad about not winning a Tbay auction, especially the "last second bid" ones, I say you just didn't think it was as valuable as somebody else.

If I'm interested in something, I decide what it is worth to me, and that's the bid I put in. If I win for less than my max bid, great....if I'm outbid (whether it's at the last second or not), then that just means someone thought it was worth more....no sour grapes on my part.
Mike Sa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

EBAY is still a lot more efficient and in the end cheaper than looking for years for specific parts, making dry runs to places where parts are supposed to be and so on. Sooner or later what you are looking for will show up and if you look hard enough, show up at your price. I will admit the sharpshooters, fixed bid and bid back dudes are a pain but you have to just keep on looking AND know what something is worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:24 pm:

An old chinese proverb says:

If avoid violence and be patient and sit by the edge of river, enemy will show up on Ebay.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration