Fuel shut off at carb what is your preference that does not leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fuel shut off at carb what is your preference that does not leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

I have tried several brass shut offs, all of which leak to some extent. Some are very good at leaking. What have you used that does NOT leak and is easy to operate. Puzzled minds want to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

"Fuel Lube" works wonders on ALL gas fittings---Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

I have the elbow shut offs on 2 cars and they are always wet and it didn't take long for them to get hard to turn on and off. I estimate the leakage rate to be one tank full of gas in about 10 years...but there is some leakage where there should be none.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

I've stopped using them for three reasons. Least important is that they detract from the stock Model T appearance. More important is that they tend to be hard to turn. Most important is that if there's an engine fire you may not be able to reach the valve.

So what to do for a shutoff? Use the one under the tank. I saw this on a TT and liked it so much I'm going to do it on all my T's. Use a piece of 5/16" rod coupled to the shutoff handle. Bend the other end of the rod 90 for a handle, and make a bracket to hold it under the running board. You just reach under the running board to turn the handle instead of crawling under the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Jack I use the original style elbow valve from Langs...not the cheap one but the period correct one. Got 3 & they work well. One is a little stiff but none leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Can we see an illustration of that one, Steve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

I used bar soap to lubricate the original sediment bulb valve and the petcock. It's impervious to gasoline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Use an in-line brass ball valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

I use the "Antique" looking elbow valve from Lang's. I like the looks of it as well the convenience. There is one drawback they are expensive. That being said, it doesn't leak or weep, and it's easy enough to turn. I still have a fully functioning sediment bowl and valve under the tank in case I couldn't get to the one on the carburetor for some reason

All shut-off valves will need maintenance at one point or another. If a valve does start to weep just take it apart and lap the coned sealing surfaces with some Timesaver compound (yellow label) and it will be as good as new. Before assembly use some Fuel Resistant EZ Turn Lubricant, also available through Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

I am pleased with the "solenoid shut off valve" I installed at the sediment bowl on our '12 Touring. On and Off with the ignition switch! I only close the sediment bowl manually for winter storage. Many years of satisfaction.Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 06:52 pm:

I have some very nice Ts but I guess I'm more of a driver than a show purist. I have small ball valves on all the cars because I was tired of having to use pliers to operate the brass shut offs. I used the air plane lube that Lang recommended and it didn't make it any easier but I seldom had a leak. I'm happy with the more modern valve as they are very small and not too noticeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Ball valve. If you simply must.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gregory Allen O'Neal on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

All new tank, sediment bulb assembly, feedpipe, and the shutoff at carb in my '26 TT working well, no leaks, and shuts off & on easy with 1 or 2 fingers.

feed pipe shutoff at carb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

I have one of the "period correct" looking valves from Lang's as a fuel shutoff. About a year after the initial install, it began to weep pretty good. I took it apart and applied EZ Turn fuel lube to the mating surfaces. Not only did it stop the leak all together, but it made it extremely easy to turn. The same was applied to the sediment bulb threads and handle under the gas tank with the same results.

It is nice to have a shutoff in both locations to aid in maintenance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

These ball valves are at any True Value hardware store. They are 1/8" NPT on both ends. Stainless construction with a Teflon ball. 100% flow, the ID is 1/4".

Cost is $6.99 I bought one on Friday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Why not fix the carb? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

My '26 sediment valve leaks a little, not much, but I wish it wouldn't leak at all. I don't like the smell and I'm afraid of a possible fire. And suggestions? Bar soap, does that really work? I want to keep it period correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Will - See my post above.

EZ Turn can be bought from Lang's or online at Aircraft Spruce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Thanks Dan, I'll give it a shot

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

I use a ball valve.....not original but is easy to turn and does not leak. The ball valve has been on our 13 for over 5 years and has been problem free.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration