'24 Drum play? - band ears, loband adjustment rod

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: '24 Drum play? - band ears, loband adjustment rod
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

I've had a bit of a hiatus from the forum for a couple years or so, I think, but back in the saddle now. I've continued work on the ol' T, but moved a couple hundred miles, and only got the T back from storage in the last couple months.

I have finally delved into the tranny to replace the bands. After some fenangaling, I finally got all 3 bands out. 2 dog ears were ford script unmountables, and one is labeld For *A*... with slits rather than key-hole type connections

Are the ones swith slits from a Model A?

Low band was non-existant ... with braking power about nil as well. Long overdue.

I couldn't find the Scandinavian bands my dad had ... until after I ordered Kevlar ones, of course! I guess I'll go ahead and install the Kevlar when they get here.

Big question is ... I have rotation and fore-aft slop on the low and reverse bands (not so much on the brake drum... ditto with a couple of the gears I can get my hands on, in front of the bands. I suppose the answer to my un-posed question is ... I should go ahead and take the hogs head off and see WHY there's slop, or is this somewhat normal?

Lastly ... the low band adjusting rod appears to be broken under where the spring is. I read that if a car originally had non-umountable band dog ears, that when converting to the unmountables, the adjusting bolt would need to be cot off. Might this be the reason?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Dennis, several parts on model t's have the letter A on them. There should be quite a bit of rotational play in the drums because the gear lash is high. The drums will also move a fair amount forward and backward because the triple gears are all that hold them back away from the flywheel. You can't rotate the brake drum because it is directly connected to the drive shaft and due to the friction between the clutch plates.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Ahhh ... very good! Sounds like it might be more normal than not, then! I'll probably just put the bands in, and see how it goes, then!

Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration