Who uses old grease?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Who uses old grease?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

I don't collect old cans to the extent some folks do but this one was full and only $10. I was assembling a spring today a though this old stuff would be great for that. I opened the can and this neat caramel colored stuff was inside. It had dried out a little but looked just like stuff you clean out of old grease cups. It was much cheaper than the new stuff and I will try it in various places. It should be as good as what T's had years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

I use that old grease on the rails on my fork lift. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

I would certainly use it on a T. Opinions will vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:19 pm:

Steve Jelf?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

My dad used to blend in some used motor oil with the grease he bought back on the farm. He swore by it for use on farm machinery and the vehicles we had

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Mix some with water and see if it turns to soap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

I get all of my grease the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

I can remember back in the '50s, you could still buy Cup Grease at Pep Boys. Not any more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Makes a delicious dessert topping !

With a name like "Smuckers", it hasta be good !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

My grandfather that was in the train wreck later went to operating a bull dozer. I have the 5 gallon grease bucket he used to fill his grease gun. It is about 1/3 full and still has the wooden stick in it he used to slop it in the gun. I use it sometimes myself on things.I would not be a bit afraid to use it.

I still have some fiber grease I bought to put in the cups on my hit and miss engine.Gooey mess that is. Bought it new at a parts store over 20 years ago.CRC brand I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 08:25 am:

Many years ago when i tried a little farming i bought a 55 gal that had opened at a auction sale for 15.00 if i remember.The 5 16" semi mount sat outside and i greased the iron and coulter's .I also greased the exposed hyd cyl rams.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 08:53 am:

I have this, but there's not enough left in the can to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Probably 30 years ago or so, NAPA sold me a 55 gallon barrel of grease that they had scraped out of other barrels they had sold. It was $20 delivered. I've been using it since.
I used to put "new" grease on the 5th wheel, but it would wash out quickly. This cheap grease did the job.
Oh yeah, the barrel is still about half full.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Bud, when I was farming I bought a 5 gal bucket of grease at an auction and I would grease the moldboards on the plow also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:47 am:

In my opinion, a plow is the best place to use old grease. There are new lubricants on the market that are far better than the common greases from the past. Hydrotex makes a synthetic grease that is expensive, but I feel well worth the cost. We had an articulated tractor that had a high speed driveline at the hinge, with good quality calcium grease, we would have to stop and grease the CV U joint every couple of hours or it would get noisy, we were lucky to get a thousand hours service from the CV joint. I switched to Hydrotex Parasyn 70 grease and could go 8 hours between greasing the joint and I never replaced another CV joint after that in several thousand hours of service. The Hydrotex grease cost 2 to 3 times as much as regular grease, but when you factor in that I was using a fourth as much and getting longer service out of the machines, it was far cheaper. Cheap is cheap, but then it is easy to get bearings and U joints for model Ts so no worry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:53 am:

If you insist that your T be original you need to use old grease, old gasoline, and old air.

The old air is hard to find! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:28 am:

Old air is easy to find. Just take it out of the inner tubes.

:-)

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Old air is easy Fred,just pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Good call Bud. I knew this group would get to the Bottom of things.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

I buy grease from a marine supply store that sells grease that is designed for use in boat trailer wheel bearings. I guess that I just feel that any grease designed to protect boat trailer wheel bearings that are subjected to salt water would have to be good for Model T Fords that have many lube points that are not sealed against the effects of "the elements".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

Oh,....I forgot to mention that I'll bet Royce Peterson would approve of the boat trailer wheel bearing grease that I use, because it's RED! Ha,ha,......harold (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:36 pm:

No thanks. I went back to using brillcreem.

just a dab'll do ya.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:21 am:

Well, yeah Alan, but my wife gets upset when that young blond runs her fingers through my hair!!
Wait a minute, what hair???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 08:23 am:

Remember Butch Wax??[ Are you still using that greasy kid stuff??] Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:43 am:

With all that grease things slid down hill quickly!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

I wouldn't eat that stuff. It's sure to be rancid. However it should work fine in the car. Unless the thinner oils have separated from the thicker grease, it would still be good lube for the car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

If it's clean I use it with no worries

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

I am using WW2 cans of grease left over from the great war. Olive drab color cans with black stenciled lables.

This grease is golden in color and fibrous. I use it for wheels bearings, and any surfaces needing some slickum.

My father delt in war surplus back in the day and we ended up with a number of wooden cases of this stuff, which my family members (all antique car restorers) use this stuff.

Ya just can't beat the good old stuff, the new synthetic goo just ain't worth the effort.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration