Battery Box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Battery Box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:02 pm:

Using a modern group 1 battery in an original Ford battery box requires an easy change to work well, and still be able to use a genuine Ford lid, and clamps. First, you have to get the dimensions of the handle from an original Ford WOOD case battery. Make the handle the exact same size, but maybe 1/16" longer on each end. I then obtained a piece of square tubing from Home Depot, I believe it is 3/4" square. I cut off about 3 inches of the tubing diagonally, to give me two pieces of thin angle iron. I drilled two holes in the angle iron to receive the handle, and welded them on the bottom so as to not come loose. These handles now ride on the top of the group 1 on each side, and support the lid perfectly. I had to cut a piece of 1/4 plywood to lay on the bottom of the battery box to bring the battery up to the top of the battery box. Hope this helps guys. It's worked for me for a long time, and have never experienced a problem with anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:35 am:

Larry,

That's a really great idea for the handles. I may try to do the same. Thanks.

For anyone else wondering, this is a carryover from a conversation that got started over in the classifieds section here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/669249.html?1471824898

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:44 am:

I ordered the boxes to ship these in this morning. They should arrive tomorrow. I should be able to start getting them out this week.
On my post above, I would cut the square tubing to 4", not 3"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration