Aquestion about 1909 era cars and supplier parts-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Aquestion about 1909 era cars and supplier parts-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Here is a photo from a studio setting. Many of these type photos are using an obscure car that is unknown to me.
This photo is fairly clear. In it you can see the style of the rear door the hinge and the door knob handle.
Both of these are reminiscent of the 109 Ford touring car. I suppose the rear door lock was outsourced from a company that made locks for any company that needed them. Was that the case with Ford?
I know someone will know or have an opinion.

Thanks

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:45 am:

I have a lot of opinions!
It is my opinion that it is an Autocar, circa 1905. I would have to actually do some research to narrow that down anymore than that.
I suspect that there were about a half dozen hardware companies supplying most of the automotive industry of door latch mechanisms at that time.
Thank you Herb!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 06:38 am:

Herb,

Technically Ford did not outsource the door latches. Instead he outsourced the entire body. I am transitioning to a new computer and stuff is still on the old one but not the new one yet.

Royce and/or Kim posted some great photos and information on the 1909 door latches. I don't know where that is filed.

But below is a typical 1914-1915 or maybe even 16-ish door latch used on the Model T bodies. Note the name of the company that produced it is on the latch.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 07:57 am:

autocar is left hand drive and shift is right under the steering wheel. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 08:18 am:

LHD? all I can find on Autocar is RHD until end of car production in 1911.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:45 am:

The guy sitting in the middle of the photo looks like Paul Ryan to me. I guess that is a little off topic! Whupps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 10:03 am:

frank! my 04 was LHD. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

A friends 1905 Autocar:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Rob - you're really going confuse everyone.

Bruce Van Sloun (blue cap) is the passenger and Gregg Lange is the driver even though it is LHD…...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:07 am:

I did find some reference to the LHD ones, with the transition from tiller steering to steering wheel but anything after 1906 until end of production, seems only RHD.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration