High gear engaging oddly.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: High gear engaging oddly.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

I am helping some local folks get a T roadster road worthy. It was restored in the late 70's. Runs great but needed a little tinkering. The owners have put the Fun projects kit in the coil box and done alot other stuff. They ask me to help them learn how to drive the little roadster.
As I drove it today and went to high gear I noticed it did not engage smooth, it seemed to slip a bit and shudder the car. Once I pulled the pedal back with my foot just a bit and it engaged kinda hard. It has been in storage for a good while.
I told them let's learn what to do to adjust that linkage underneath or whatever so as not to damage anything.
It has been so long since I did that adjustment I can't remember what I did.
I am not even sure the adjustment is the issue. It could be some wear in the linkage or could something need oiling?

Kinda need some ideas because the owners are going to have me come back by for a while and take care of this and to put a side oil line on it and adjust the brake band and install a transmission filter probably while we are in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Mack--You need to be sure the E-brake lever is fully forward--sometimes the rear brake rods are set a bit too long. If no problem there, you can adjust the three clutch screws in, a half turn each,after removing trans cover.I had a similar problem recently--adjusted the rear brake rods to allow FULL forward on the E-brake--it doesn`t take much to keep high gear from not engaging properly--Good luck---Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Mack: have you checked the clutch spring it may be a little weak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

Looking at the ford service manual you can adjust the "High Speed" clutch fingers which would give a little more tension on the clutch. When you have the transmission door off the clutch spring is in the back and can bee seen with a flash light look for cracks and deformed parts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Mack, all of the above, plus this. If it is a '25 or earlier engine, the lugs inside the brake drum may be grooved so that the discs 'catch'on the grooves, then engage with a bang. Also the disc drum could be grooved. '26-7s have steel shoes on the lugs. And, since it has set a long time, the discs just may be gummed up and it will come out of it with use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

Turbo or standard discs? My turbos shutter when going into high when engine speed and road speed are not synchronized

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

I can't answer on turbo disc as I don't know the rebuild history.
I must say,after reading this, I will probably check those brake rods and the 3 clutch screws. It does seem to "hold" alot quicker than mine when you pull back as if not going all the way back to hold the car.
I will say this car is in in good condition, as in it was a low mileage car originally.No rust pits on the underside of fenders and such as that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration