Front wheel grease caps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front wheel grease caps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. South Coast. NSW. OZ on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 07:03 am:

Hi,
I've used a set of John Stoltz's Model A to Model T (wood) wheel adapters and fitted up a set of 21" Model A wire wheels. Each wheel has now been modified so I can install a set of Model T wire wheel brass hubcaps.
BUT....because there isn't enough room between the outer edge of the bearing/hub and the inside of the new brass hubcap for an old screw on hub cap, can anyone offer me a suggestion as to how seal it off please?
Thanks & Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 10:21 am:

What Ford did for the Model A was use a large keyed type washer to fill the space at the outer end of the hub instead of the smaller keyed type like the Model T. It's big enough to fill the space but not rub on the hub as it turns. The Model A didn't have have a cap till around 1930 or 1931 then the washer was reduced in outside diameter and a press in grease cap was added.
I would have to check the parts books but I don't think the Model T wire wheels had a cap pressed into the hubs, just the outer cap on the wheels.
So the larger washer should work for your wood wheel hubs too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Mark

The '26-'27 wire wheel hubs came with a grease cap. That cap is filled with cup grease. The wheel has a decorative cap that is crimped to the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Dan is correct, the T wire wheels did indeed come with a grease cap. Ford must have thought that because the wheel fit tight to the drum on the Model A they were not needed. Later that was changed. There are still a number of A with the old style grease retainer washer out there. Have worked on a few and some we have swapped out the washer and added the caps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. South Coast. NSW. OZ on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Gents,
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
Rob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration