Single Stack vs Double Stack Field Coil?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Single Stack vs Double Stack Field Coil?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 11:59 am:

Speedster engine is coming along; I've reached a "fork in the road".

My block was cast in August, 1917.

Neither the block nor the front cover plate has a flange to mount a generator. With cars produced with generators, was the flange on the block or the front cover plate?

My magnets are 3/4 thick.

My current field coil is a single stack. The air gap is currently .025 between the single stack field coil and the magnet clips.

I want to be able to run electric lights.

I've recently read that to run electric lights from the magneto (non-generator car), you need a double stack field coil. I don't know the difference in appearance, or dimensions, of a Single Stack from a Double Stack Field Coil. Can anyone tell me how to find the dimensions of a Double Stack Field Coil?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

Bill,

I just use this one to charge the battery.

http://www.funprojects.com/products/hsbck1.aspx

I have a single stack field coil rebuild myself in the car and running with the light on and on magneto the car is just running great.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Bill
Give me a call and I can give you some details.
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Bill,

Are the coils oval shaped? If so they will run a magneto and magneto headlights no problem.

I have three cars equipped with magneto ignition and the oval coil like yours. I run battery powered headlights, brake lamp, and tail lamp on three of my T's because they are brighter. I don't have any sort of charging system, the headlights can run 20 or more hours with no noticeable decrease in brightness.

I don't have any need for any sort of charging system as the battery can be charged by a battery charger as needed when the car is in the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Here a few photos:
Double round demountable stack.
Double oval.
Single oval with starter place.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

I think I miss two.
Double round stack on cast iron core and the single oval without starter place.
The last one I have to rebuild right now.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Royce, yes, they are oval.

Andre, thank you for the pictures. In your post above, the picture in the upper left corner is what I imagined this unit looked like.

Ron, thank you for your input.

Thanks again.

Bill Everett

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

So the rest of us are waiting to see if there is any more power from the double stack? Thanks,Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Scott;

No, I'm not expecting more power, just the ability to run electric lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

I tried all three on my home made HCCT and couldn't find any difference. I also thought that the double stack coil loops should made more electricity because of the + winding on each coil, 32 on the double and 25 on the single stack coils but it was just the same. The only thing I know is that the round magneto coil loops were used in the early model T's together with early ignition coils. These coils needed less power to work and the engine was easier to start on magneto I think (if all was set up right).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Bill, model T's from 1917-1918 and on have single stack magneto coils and many of those cars originally had magneto headlights. If your magnets are charged properly and you set the air gap according to the instructions in the Ford service manual the mag should be able to power the headlamps. Whether or not magneto headlamps are adequate or reliable enough is debatable.

Stephen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration