Its not a T, but I like the way it looks...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Its not a T, but I like the way it looks...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Was surfing eBay and came across this car.

I really like the way the seats are so far back and low and the how the doors are so far forward...

I have been looking into building a speedster and I think I just found the look I want....

Lastly, was this a regular model? or has this car been speedsterized?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-Hupmobile-/191951379450?forcerrptr=true&hash =item2cb1319bfa:g:-CUAAOSwZVlXukX2&item=191951379450

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Looks like a standard Hupp 20 that has been stripped down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Never mind... found what I am looking for! just going to add doors though (I like the look of tinny doors!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Race-car-Speedster-Body-Model-A-Brass-Era-D odge-Chevy-/182252049021

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, August 22, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

While I think just about any pre-1930 car is pretty cool, those with awkwardly high
mounted headlights really turn me off in the looks department. Design and proportion
were heavily emphasized in Design Study and aesthetics. Cute, but it looks like a bug
or frog !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:22 am:

Was it normal for the rear wheel to have more spokes then the front ?? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me late at night. ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 03:38 am:

George, most cars did not do that. But more than a few did. Including a few common surprises. Many Cadillac cars (around 1910 to '14, I don't know the exact models offhand) had twelve heavy spokes rear and only ten in the front. And they were a major producer of a luxury car. Some models of Packards also did that (and maybe a little earlier).
A lot of the Hupmobile model 20s did that.
They are cute cars, and a great piece of history (not as great as the Ford of course).
That one is very interesting. Hupmobile did have a "fore-door" runabout as well as the open runabout. This particular car looks like the doors may be an after-market add-on?! I know that such doors were offered for many makes of cars about that time, including Ford and Hupmobile. I don't know whether or not Hupmobile may have offered something like that themselves. They did have a lot of minor body variations in a few short years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:52 am:

From the serial number, this is a mid-year 1911, which would have a front left opening door and a right front fake door from the factory. It also has longer running boards than the earlier Model 20's.

There's some good value there for an early car, the Breeze carburetor is original (many were switched to Model T carbs, but the "J" on the intake manifold had to be cut off!), the acetylene generator, Bosch DU-4 magneto, complete car minus fenders. Fenders can be made pretty easily for this car.

These are fun little cars, well built, 30-35 mph all day, faster downhill if you're brave! I have an early 1910, if anyone has questions about the little Hupps.... david.coco@comcast.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:14 am:

And yes, the rear wheels have more spokes than the fronts- that was standard on all Model 20s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:33 am:

Coco ~

Why does the red car pictured have low mounted headlights, while others are way up by the fender tops ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:51 am:

1911 is when Hupp Motor Car Co. started putting the headlights in the high position above the fender. From 1911 through 1914 that became their most recognizable feature - kind of like a trademark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:59 am:

Thanks Erik. Good intel. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration