Transmission question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Transmission question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Lawson-Kingston,TN on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:12 am:

I dropped a washer in the transmission while changing the bands and had to remove the hogsheads. I noticed that 2 of the rectangle plates were gone on the magnets. I found both plates behind the mag ring and one of the bronze screw heads. Is it okay to run it like this? I have a Truefire so I don't use the magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Robert, you don't want to risk the damage that can happen if something else comes loose in that transmission. If things are falling off the magneto, what other damage might have been done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Sooner or later it's going to come apart, either by itself or with your help. It's best to take the time now and do it so nothing else gets broken, including your legs. You can put paddles in place of the magnets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

I would recommend either repairing the magneto or removing the magnets. Those keepers on the ends of the magnets do serve a purpose. Those posts above indicate what might happen if a magnet breaks or comes loose.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

This coming from the guy who cranks right handed, refuses to use an air cleaner or outside oil line, and still uses the 'above the axle' wishbone......There's no way in L I'd start that engine back up even once without a re-doing that flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

I've seen pictures of what can happen. You're riding a ticking time bomb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

You ask "Is it ok to run like this?" NO!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Robert don't do it I had one come apart in the driveway. Pull the engine and fix it right.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Some more perspective...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/72730.html?1231878224

Heed the warnings!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Robert,

You said: "I have a Truefire so I don't use the magneto.

Maybe you don't use it, but the mass of metal is still spinning, and may lead to some bad results...

look at some of the pictures in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/556244.html?1437309368

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration