FYI Oversize shipping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FYI Oversize shipping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Just some info for anyone shipping big things by UPS. If you kept your box size below 14", the item will not be in the "oversize" class. This will save you a lot. I just got bent over by UPS on a shipment. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

Yes they changed their position that oversize is no longer 60" in length but anything over 36" is now oversize and there are some other rules that can snag you as well. Drive shafts that I started making can be shipped somewhat locally via post office for reasonable amounts but further distances get pricey in larger steps than ever before when using UPS or post office either one. UPS is cheaper on a long shipment of oversize compared to post office but not by much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

UPS wanted $1800 to ship my $400 wheels from Nevada to indiana

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

John and others in the Midwest should use Speedee Delivery. The ship fast and cheap. The only drawback is that they only cover 5 or 6 states.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

If you have a Fastenall store try them they are cheaper if they have another store in the area it is being shipped to. And they are happy to do it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

use this link to find a store in your area
https://www.fastenal.com/locations;jsessionid=07E4AC690AC0EAF55241221575800A7C.fcomjvm01

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

G.R.Cheshire: Fastenal would be a great option for many ...in my case i am told that fastenal doesn't have the capacity in this region to handle extra freight ...so this shipping option is not available in the Colorado/Wyoming region ...possibly not available in other areas too ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Greyhound is another option for oversized, but not heavy items such as wheels, tires, windshields,fenders, etc. They go in the bus luggage storage underneath the bus and go when space permits from terminal to terminal.
Inquire with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Dan, can you clarify what you mean by "below 14 in." ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Amtrak Rail is another option in some cases. Shipments must go from manned stations to manned station. No whistle stops if they still exists. I have shipped wire wheels from Seattle to Ohio no problems at reasonable rates. Your mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Ray: Shipped a couple boxes that were big 54X24X 14.25. The first one the guy "rounded it" up like they are told to 15" That put over the magic number of 14" To "Large Package FEE". Cost me a lot more than the web site said because I used just 14". The next one he cut me some slack and only put in even 14" and cost was what I got on their web site. 15" is the number of the Devil at UPS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

Needed to ship a Model T item I had sold so I got an estimate from UPS. $250 if they packed it or $200 if I packed it. Size was about 22 X 24 X 30. Wht. 38 lbs. Went to my local post office. $46.35 for two day delivery. Guess what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

I just shipped a 1953 GMC manifold from Upland, IN to Morton, IL. It weighed 52 pounds and cost $39. I build a wooden box to hold it. It was my first use of the UPS account I had set up a few weeks ago. They delivered it, no problem. A couple of days later, I received an email saying they had charged my credit card another $10.50 because I hadn't encased it in cardboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Well no worries here I stop using ups"we broke it again" years ago never will go back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Sometimes the packaging has to be considered. I had to ship three model T rims to Washington State. They are 24 X 24 X 9 inches as a stack of three. Any kind of box would be oversize. So I taped them together and saran wrapped them. I have a large supply of saran wrap from a auction buy, so this may not apply to all. But they could have been wrapped with paper and tape just as easy. The shipping price was 71.35 post office priority mail or 61.36 by post office standard mail. or 62.09 by UPS. In a box, the shipping would be over double that price. I also send a lot of things in a "parts burrito" where I just lay it on a piece of card board and "roll" it up. Then tape the crap out of it. It keeps the packages as small as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 01:33 am:

I once shipped some 21" wheels (later needed them!! Watch what you sell, you might need it later!)and packed them in a wooden-framed box. Found out I had to cover the wood with cardboard, as there was a major surcharge for wooden packaging!!
I also had a pair of '15 Dodge front fenders sent to me through the mail; they were only wrapped in some cardboard and duct tape! When I picked them up (the PO wouldn't deliver them to my house) everyone came out when I picked them up and wanted to know if it was an art object or car parts! Almost didn't believe me when I said, "Car Parts!" Their response, "Those rusty old things???" Funny, just light surface rust, really nice fenders! No wonder folks think we're crazy fixing up this rusty old junk!! Most of them can't see that a Shiny nicely painted car was once a rust bucket!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration