Its amazing how a Model T can effect people.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Its amazing how a Model T can effect people.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Sunday I took the T to the rifle range and on the way home I stopped at my local sporting goods store to buy some more ammo. I'm pretty used to most folks questions and amazement of the car but this one lady came up to me with tears in her eyes and was trying very hard not to cry. She explained that her now deceased father in law had a car like mine and that he had started a club in the St. Petersburg, Florida area and wondered if I knew him, Sadly I told her that I did not know the gentleman and to my knowledge I had the only Model T in the Melbourne area. Because of my Model T it brought back memories of a gentleman that she loved very much. I'll admit listening to her talk about her father in law brought a large lump in my throat also. It really did give me a completely new perspective on the Model T hobbie on how these old cars can touch people in ways I never really considered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I'm pleased you made that happen. I am constantly surprised by reaction to these old cars and we only see a small bit of the enjoyment they bring.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Love it! Always nice to meet new people :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

Will that is really cool to witness. Good for you! Ironically shortly after you posted this my wife & I were exiting a small restaurant in a small village. Came across a dozen people, some of which had similar stories. We were floored at first as to how many were around Pete just gazing. Couldnt see 'em from the restaurant, nor fit them all in the pic. Seemed like the ladies were enjoying him as much as the guys. Pretty cool.After that we had a great ride in the country, 45 miles worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 12:22 am:

I truly believe it is our responsibility to drive our model t's and when someone comes up to ask questions or tell some of their family history, we need to listen and pay attention.

These folks are offering a piece of their family history and it is near and dear to them. After collecting and driving model t's and other antique cars for the last 60 years, I have heard some of the same stories over and over. But as I said, it's near and dear to them, so take a few moments to listen.

I have offered rides to those folks and in most cases the tears will flow. I never turn anyone down for a ride, a photo, or just to let them sit behind the wheel. It only takes a bit of your time, and you will leave them with a lasting memory for years to come.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:29 am:

Last year, Chris Paulsen was part of a crew that took a 1915 Model T from Dearborn to California over many of the same (non)-roads Edsel Ford and his friends had used on a 1915 trip with a Ford, a Cadillac, and a Stutz. A few years before Chris's trip, I had been driving my '13 T when I was approached by an elderly gent. After we chatted for a few minutes, I learned that his father had been on that 1915 trip with Edsel, that Edsel had given each participant a scrapbook, and that this fellow had his father's scrapbook. None of his kids was interested in the badly-deteriorating scrapbook. Long story short: We had a museum-quality CD made from the scrapbook, and the Horseless Carriage Gazette printed 11 pages of pictures from it. The original scrapbook is now in the AACA library. And, oh yes, I gave the fellow a ride in my T! You just never know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Like moths to a flame - Which Model T will attract folks quicker? A brass pre-black or a later black non-brass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I'm not sure which year might attract more people, but I believe a non-restored one attracts more than a restored one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

That brass all polished really attracts people. The problem is they all want to touch it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

A number of years ago, when living in Ridgecrest Ca. the couple next door had a large family gathering. I had our 1910 2 cylinder REO out and went next door asking if anyone wanted a ride? I emptied the house out and gave everyone a ride including the grandmother.
A little later, the wife next door came over and thanked me for what I had done and then asked me if I would like to have her father's service Pins that he was given over the many years while employed at REO.
Of course I said yes! She would not take any money for them and said her late father would be happy that they went to a REO owner who would appreciate them. Those service pins are special and I sometimes wear them at HCCA events.
You just never know what may happen when you take the time to do something for others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 09:19 am:

I took my car to a car show about two weeks ago here in Iowa. Of course they threw everything up to 1949 together, so my competition was wide and varied. As I stood by my car, I started offering to let people sit in the car and take their picture. Word spread pretty quick, that I was one of the few that would let someone touch their car, and even sit in it. Young and old, they all enjoyed having their picture taken in a car from the past.

Lots of memories were made that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:05 am:

When I was an employee at Ford Parts Obsolete, a lady came in and wanted to know if I owned a Model T. I said that I owned the one that was parked in the building. She gave me the key that belonged to her husbands 1915 Ford. That was probably around 1970.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration