Issue with new stainless control rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Issue with new stainless control rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

I bought a new set of control rods for my T, and installed them in the column, riveted the quadrant, pinned the small levers, etc.

When I went to put the pitman arm on, it is apparent that the spark lever is too long (should've checked before I riveted everything together). It does not allow me to fully tighten the pitman arm.

Pitman Arm

Pitman Arm2

Before I pull the column out and redrill the lever, I just wanted to double check on the forum to ensure I'm not mistaken about some element of the assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

Michael, I just picked up two pre '23 columns. On both the levers ride over the pitman arm. This would explain why the rods are too long for your '26. The older brackets must have the rod bores farther outboard of the steering shaft. I would check to be sure the rods are in the correct bores then if so, cut and repin them. Give me a call if you you need help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Compare the new rod to an original. If it's too long, that wouldn't be the first reproduction part made wrong.

Looks to me like you can drill a new rivet hole, unrivet the arm and move it back to the new hole, put in a new rivet, and cut off the excess rod. I wouldn't try to do it in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Would it be possible, and if so, would it help to turn the "ball" member of the joint around and mount it the other way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Harold- the ball isn't in the way, it's the actual brass lever itself. I think it's simply too long, and I should be able to mark it, pull the column out, and fix it outside of the car.

I knew I should have plated the originals. Oh well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration