Steering problem on a 26 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Steering problem on a 26 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Markus Huether - Germany on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

Hi,
i changed the steering shaft on my T because i had a lot of play in the steering wheel. So far so good. When i did the final test, the Steering stop in the steering gear is not working. Before i assembled the Pitman Arm to the steering shaft i tested the steering stop. it was working. After the assembly the steering stop is not working, because the mechanical stop on the front Axle is earlier than the steering stop.
I checked the old steering situation with the old shaft. The same. Mechanical stop is earlier than the steering stop.

The steering gear is a 5/1 ratio and the gearbox has the long slot. But it seams the 5/1 ratio is working only with the 4/1 gearbox (with the short slot)????

Does somebody has any idea???

mechanical stop on front Axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Markus, that's exactly how all three T's that I've had with 5 to 1 steering are. The stop in the case is designed to stop the pitman arm from passing over center which would cause the steering to lock up causing an accident. The spindle arms prevent the wheels from being steered too far. As long as the stop in the gear case stops the pitman arm before the drag link goes past center there should be no issue.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

I had that problem when putting a 5 to 1 set up on my speedster. I finally found that the key way in the steering shaft was not in line opposite the long pin in the steering gear box. This allowed the pin to hit the end of the slot in one direction but not the other. That caused it to not steer as tight to the right. I found another 5 to 1 steering shaft that had the key directly opposite the long pin and that solved my problem. You also have to make sure you have the correct length drag link because there were several different lengths made over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Markus Huether - Germany on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Hi Stephen,
thanks for the answer, but the spindle arms prevent the steering wheel to passing the pitman arm to go over center. Or is there any way to bring the pitman arm over center??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Markus Huether - Germany on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:59 pm:

Hello Dennis,
thanks for the answer, but the new steering shaft have exact the same key way than the old one. The old one was the original one. The steering stop is not hitting the end of the slot on both sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

Markus, the Ford motor company changed the design of the parts in the front axle numerous times. There are several different drag links and tie rods and if the wrong parts are used the pitman arm can in some cases pass over center before the spindle arms come in contact with the axle. Also, if the steering is full left or full right the pitman arm can be forced over center if you pull on the steering wheel hard enough. The slot in the steering case makes that impossible.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Markus,

As long as it's impossible to get the pitman arm over center, (due to using the wrong parts, as mentioned above), I would not be concerned about it. Aside from it being an interesting observation, it should never be a problem for you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration