Facing the spindle bushings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Facing the spindle bushings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Dewey Asher Washington IL on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

When installing spindle bolts and bushings in a model T, to fit the spindle to the axel does one face off the top bushing, the bottom bushing or equally off both?? Thanks for your help.
Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

It probably doesn't make much difference, but I only took enough off the top one to square it up, then took the rest off of the bottom one.

I figured the top one takes all the weight and could use all the thickness it can get. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

Normally both are faced equal, the Service Bulletin, May 1927, states:
"when facing off the spindle body bushings, an equal amount of stock should be removed from both bushings..."

Repair methods vary if the axle yoke or spindle body faces have been worn and then filed or machined away more on one face than the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

I face only the bottom as all the wear is on the top

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:45 am:

I do like Mark for the same reason he posted. I do feel the clearance will last longer if the top is squared up. Imagine if it is only making partial contact on the top, it will wear quickly increasing the clearance. I take just enough off the top to square it, the cut the bottom to fit it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:13 am:

Bob is correct, BUT, if you have new bushings, the bottom should still be faced off to be parallel to the top.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration