First trip to town in the TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: First trip to town in the TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Well got brave and decided to take Stanley to town this evening. Got the wife to go along by promising that we would go for BBQ. Everything went perfectly. I threw in the GPS so I could tell what speed he was going to be comfortable with and found out about 28 is where he likes to be. I have not checked to be sure but by the fairly low engine RMP at 28-30 mph I am pretty sure I have the higher gears in the rear end. The ol Warford did howl a little but ran cool the entire trip. I also checked the rear end when we got to the BBQ place and it was fairly warm but no problem holding my hand against it. We had a good supper, got a lot of thumbs up and people wanting to take pictures so it turned out to be a good evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

Congrats on your first trip to town. :-) :-) :-)

Now thar he is christened, DQ is next.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

HE?......... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

1st of many more I'm sure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

St. Maries, Harrison, or CDA ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 11:49 pm:

Is your Warford a 2-speed or 3-speed ? If a 2-speed, is it set up as an underdrive
or overdrive ?

My real question is, cruising at 28 mph, were you in a Warford overdrive gear ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Burger it is a Warford 3 spd and we went into St. Maries about 11 miles. I did cheat and came home on the county road so I did not hold traffic up on Peterson Hill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:59 am:

Planning your TT trips in a manner that avoids difficulties in traffic isn't cheating, it's good sense! :-)

I can scoot down the road in my TT, which has a Muncie, in 3rd/high and do about 30 MPH, but the engine is wound about as tight as I care to wind it. My truck has low speed rear end gears, so if your truck moves at that speed in 3rd/high at a comparatively low RPM you're probably right about it having the high speed rear end gears.

Have fun!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

Henry,
What do you think you would be able to do with the high speed gears in 3rd/high?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 02:45 am:

Jason,

Assuming the engine is in good shape and running well, I imagine 40-45 MPH would not ne a strain. I've heard of 50+ MPH, but for me that kind of speed makes me wonder just how fast I wanna go on 98 year old wood spikes and with 2 wheel brakes, not to mention the steering.

The best part of driving a TT is that it forces you to slow down and enjoy the trip. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Henry's last sentence nailed it :-) Where we lived there were miles and miles of old clay roads that no one travelled. We'd tool along at 22 to 28 or so mph all day and be happy as clams seeing all kinds of neat things. Happy TT-ing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Well said! Henry, I forgot to ask if you also have a Ruckstell rear end with your Muncie?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

No Ruckstell. It's lowest gear combination to go forward is reverse/reverse. If you can figure out a way to hold the reverse pedal down, you could go o lunch, take in a matinee, then go visit your girlfriend for a while. When you get back to the truck you will not have missed much.

The lower gear offered by the Ruckstell is just not needed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Henry,......well,......there is the beauty of being able to literally "crawl" onto a trailer for a very safe and carefull loading operation! A guy couldn't possibly "screw up" in loading while "crawling" onto the trailer that slow! Kinda' nice actually,.....I have a '26 Touring with a Warford and a Ruckstell,......harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration