Old Photo - Cheaper By The Dozen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Cheaper By The Dozen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:05 am:

Either a whole lot of grandchildren or a very tired wife!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:47 am:

Probably out cold in the back seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 10:36 am:

I doubt they're siblings. Too many of them appear to be too close in age.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Kinda looks like my car when I leave it parked unattended for two minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Let me explain something to you people who do not know this firsthand ... nothing cheap
about kids. Food, clothes, toys, tools, never mind school and college ! And don't even get
me started on the energy they take, from running them all over creation for cub scouts to base
ball games. And then there is the ever-present worry of them developing a penchant for self-
destruction, be that getting in with the wrong crowd or making their own little "creations" with
the village idiot !

If you want a SUPER expensive hobby, take up child-raising ! Restoring Duesenbergs is far
cheaper, AND they don't talk back or bring the police to your door at 2am ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:32 am:

I'm thinking all of the nieces and nephews too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Burger has a point, BUT, "back in the Day" you didn't run kids from this to that, the kids were expected to make their own entertainment, be a it a backyard baseball game or building a tree fort (by scrounging lumber pieces and straightening out old bend nails using some rocks---and hammering them in using some rocks--you couldn't "borrow" Dad's good hammer for that! Parents then weren't at the beck and call of their kids, and some of us grew up into good citizens!
"Cheaper by the Dozen" is the title of a book about a family who had that many kids & the Father was a time-motion analyzer; pretty funny, but true story book as I recall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

Oh, and this reminds me of a Grouch Marx quote interviewing a lady on his TV show who had a bunch of kids, "I Love my Wife too, but I like to let her rest once in a while!"
He got more stuff past the censors!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

My dad had a furniture factory and from about age 9 my job was to sweep up sawdust and burn in the incenarator. Not much time for play. Other kids worked on farms. Next door to the furniture factory was a florist and their daughters worked setting up floral displays. I know they were about my age because one was in my class at high school. That picture was probably a special occasion when all the cousins came together. I know that happened on occasions in our family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 12:17 am:

"Pootie done went and stunk up the car again. So, we're jes' gonna ride on the outside for awhile. We told Pootie ta just stay in thar by himself. Fred was afraid to ride on the runnin' board. So, he stayed in the front seat and hung his hear out the winder. Shur hope he don't puke on anybody."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 12:34 am:

Growing up, a couple up the street were quite elderly. I remember he was born in 1883
and a story he told of seeing his first automobile when he was 25. He said it was at night,
out along a rural road. Scared the berjeebers out of him .... this strange noisemaker with
lights on it. We backed away into a field and let it pass, only to learn what it was later when
he told some people in town about the strange "thing" in the night.

But relevant to this thread, .... his wife was one of TWENTY-ONE surviving children !!!! All
this at a time before indoor plumbing !!! .... and of the 21 kids, eighteen were girls !!!

Mr. Moore lived to be 105 in good health. I remember he used to tell us kids "dirty" poems. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration