KC Warford + 4.11 Diff. Gears?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: KC Warford + 4.11 Diff. Gears?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:30 am:

How does this combo work in a Tudor? Cruising speed, hill pulling, any other experience? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:59 am:

How do you get a 4.11 gear ratio? Chaffins has a 9 tooth pinion that will work with the std 40 tooth ring gear, that's 4.44:1 for a high revving hill climb racer. Next available I know about is 4:1 with an accessory 10 tooth pinion.

Here are the KC Warford ratios with std 3.64 (11/40) gears: https://www.modeltford.com/item/WARFTR.aspx

hhh

With 4:1 in the rear end, High/Direct would give 4:1 and High/OD => 3.32:1
Seems like a good compromise for a closed car in mostly flat country with small hills?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

Thanks for the reply Roger. I'm buying this car and this is what the owner said was in it. It could well be 4:10. I do a lot of mountain driving here so I was thinking this might be better ratio. When I get the car home I'll see how it works in these mountains. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

I think it was just a case of defaulting to known values. 4.11s are standard gears in more modern hotrods and muscle cars. Most likely it has a 10 tooth pinion for 4 to 1. He just said 4.11 cause that's a more "common" number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Sure. I was thinking of a song :-)
"..with four-eleven gears you can really get lost. It's got safety tubes and I'm not scared, the brakes are good and my tires fair."

https://youtu.be/e58NJU5B3v8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Pat -- The 10-tooth pinion with a standard ring gear gives you a 4:1, as has been mentioned. This is a great rear gear in combination with a Warford. You get better power for hill climbing, and the Warford's overdrive gear is actually quite useful. With standard rear gearing, the overdrive is too tall to use very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:04 am:

Thanks guys. The seller said he really liked the gearing. I just did a run over Beartooth Pass in June and was on the low pedal a lot. Looking forward to having some gears! PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Pat, I have 4/1 gears in a 1916 touring with a KC Warford. I love it Good low end and good top end. BE CAREFUL SHIFTING the shift pattern is real tight. Don

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration