Stupid shift knobs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stupid shift knobs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

How can I block all the stupid knobs on ebay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Change the condition of the item to "used' in the search terms on the left side of the screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Jim, do the search like you would normally do, but add the minus symbol and the word knob with no spaces between minus and knob. something like this, model t accessories -knob or model t speedster -knob ect. You can add the minus symbol to any word you want to delete, but choose the words wisely and not loose things you want to look at. you can also add more than one -word to your search just space each -word in the search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

I guess I do not understand. I have Model T in my favorite list and can't figure what you are telling me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

You can narrow your search by eliminating certain words that may be in the item description.

For example, if you are searching Model T Ford and want to eliminate shift knobs from the results, then put the following in the search box:

"Model T" Ford -shift

or

"Model T" Ford -knob

Note that I suggest putting "Model T" in quotes as shown above so it is an exact phrase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Rat and rod are two good words to exclude to narrow searches as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

copy and paste this into your search bar:

ford model t -ertl -photo -die -kellogs -scale -sign -magazine -japanese -diecast -amt -postcard -revell -picture -matchbox -book -hot -buckle -ad -photograph -key -digest -fits

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Thank you for this thread!!! All those knobs are irritating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Funny thing!!!
I've learned more about searching the interweb when I bought a model T
Go figure
These threads are great info for me
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

Jim, Erik's and Brian's examples are good searches. But in Brians's search example I would personally not add the words photo and picture or the word postcard to the search string of words. I personally like to see the model T postcards and the model t pictures and photos. But that is my personal preference. That is what I meant by "chose your words wisely and carefully" All of the other words will not hurt your search for model T parts. I would also suggest to add the words -shift and -knob to Brian's search so it will also delete those words from the search. For right now just enter the search manually in e-bay. Then when you are happy with the string of -words you have, then save it to your favorite searches. I have about five different searches I have came up with to get rid of unwanted items in my searches.

So for an easy search to start with I suggest the following

model t -knob -shift

Type the above into the e-bay search box just like I have it above. Remember to not space between the - symbol and the word. But you will have a space between each new -word. That should get you started. There is no limit to the amount of -words you can add, but do not get carried away :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling - Dayton OH on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

If you add -fits to the search it should clear most of that knob stuff and the repetitive junk like radiators and rat rod parts. Ebay allows some parts that may "fit" your car to appear across all search spectrums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 12:06 am:

What exactly does a stupid knob look like ??? I think I've worked with a few
people that fit this description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 08:27 am:

Burger; something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YOU-CANT-FIX-STUPID-LOGO-ALUMINUM-GEAR-SHIFT-KNOB-207-/1 31845083754?hash=item1eb294526a:g:u2AAAOSwqBJXXEaQ&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 09:02 am:

This junk is clearly a violation of the rules when it comes to duplicates, using a description that does not match just to get a hit and so on. Do all the above and also complain to tbay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Thank's I think I got it. no more stupid knobs. After the way they flood ebay, I would not buy from them if the knobs were ten cents per dozen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:13 am:

I just use -fits, seems to clear up most all the floor mats, knobs etc. I would not add -rat or -rod, there is good stuff that some people just add that to the title to get more people to look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 04:18 am:

HEY!! My mom and 2 sisters are on those knobs....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 06:38 am:

So ... can you also block the guy who posts model T parts that are always two to four times what they are actually going for on eBay? They are listed for months at a time and no one in their right mind would buy them at the starting bid that is posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 08:51 am:

It is possible to block a specific seller by name:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/659269.html?1468540552

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 10:22 am:

From some of the strings of words being used to block unwanted items, sounds like some of you are not setting tight enough parameters in the first place for your search.
To get your search parameters setup; You can get to the Ebay motors page from the drop down in the header or parameter settings on the left after you type model t -fits in the search box and load the page.

in Ebay motors, type in model t -fits in the search box.
After the page(s) load using the box on the left;
Click new and/or used (which every combination for condition you are looking for) This can be changed next time you open the page but will not change your basic setup.
Under "Categories" sub heading "Parts & Accessories" click "Vintage Car & Truck Parts" (if you don't see it try expanding the list).
Any other search parameter you want to set from the box on the left, now is the time to do it.

The pages will reload several times DO NOT save till you have everything set.

Now save the page in your favorite file on your home page not thru ebay.
When you open the page from favorites the next time you can tweak it for what you are looking for but it will not change basic setup of that page in your favorites file the next time you open it.

Even if you were going to a swap meet, you would have to sift thru a lot of "stuff" to find that one treasure you are looking for. :-)

disclaimer; I am running Windows 2000 but think the page layout should be the same for Windows 10 etc.

(Message edited by redmodelt on August 27, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

I use "Model T Ford"

and then anything I want to eliminate I add - knob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

"Adding a minus" seems like "an exercise in futility"!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration