How do you "Shim Up" wooden spokes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How do you "Shim Up" wooden spokes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

What is the proper way to "Shim Up" a set up a Model T Wheels? The spokes are hammering against the rims. Where do I find shims? Do I have to make them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Daniel,

Here's a recent post on the topic.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/667439.html?1471565040

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Not being ugly, You contact these folks or others so you don't kill yourself or others. Just a question, is you life worth more than a $1000.00?
Stutzman's Wheel Shop LTD
33656 CR 12
Baltic, OH 43804
330-897-1391, ext 1
Or

Johnson's Wood Wheels INC.

Phone: 580-220-1001

Shipping address:
Johnson's Wood Wheels
13504 Bynum Lane
Ardmore, Ok 73401

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

"AGREE"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

I'm with John. I shim up loose spokes by knocking them out and burning them in a campfire. Then, I bead blast and prime the hubs and felloes to get them ready for Noah Stutzman to work his magic with new spokes that should outlast me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 01:33 am:

Rare have been the times when my modern car needed a repair that cost me less than $600. _That same amount of money would completely re-wood three out of four of your Model T Ford's wheels. _And the job will have been done by a man who really knows what he's doing and insists on doing the job as well as it can be accomplished. _Noah Stutzman's reputation is sterling.

It just doesn't make sense to butchie-boo around with temporary, band-aids like spoke shims or injectable resin when you can get what amounts to a brand new wheel—and peace of mind—so cheaply. _Two bills to completely rebuild a wheel is awfully inexpensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 02:07 am:

Spokes become loose because they have either shrunk with age, or are soft due to dry rot. Either way, shimming is just a temporary and very dangerous fix that may tighten the spokes up, but the problem of dried out or rotten and weak spokes still remains. Please re-spoke your wheel before the inevitable failure occurs, destroying your model T and killing you or others on the road. Thank you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Thank you guys,,,, Safety is #1 with me. I would not want to hurt myself or anyone else. Thank you for advise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:20 am:

I don't know .....

I mean, what's a little death amongst friends, right ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:33 am:

I had heard that shims were available and thought it was a traditional Model T repair. I have been set straight. I appreciate everyones thoughtful feed back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Daniel,

It is a traditional Model T repair. Just not the best one...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

I have found that as long as the spokes are solid it is a viable repair. The spokes in metal felly's wear at the point the wood makes contact, proper shims and done correctly can last many thousands of miles. As far as shims, sometimes they can be found at swap meets or e bay at times. Most likely you will have to make your own the thickness you need. If you can afford to respoke your wheels then by all means do so. I have not always been able to afford this so I chose to shim. If I thought this was unsafe I would not have done so, just my own worthless opinion, KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 12:04 am:

I had the same problem you did in 2011. Spokes on the front right wheel of my '26 coupe started clicking and upon closer inspection, I discovered a fine brown powder on the rim. I got a set of plans for John Regan's spoke press and bought a set of hickory spokes from Snyder's and I did it myself. The wheel still runs nice and true. It is not difficult to do once you get started. Here is the thread for when I did mine. Perhaps if you decide to do yours use can learn from my mistakes. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/183733.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:36 am:

Do they still have taper spoke ends available anywhere?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

Dan:
we talked about shimming spokes ...it WAS a routine repair in the old days and i have seen wheels with the shims still inplace ...probably if this was 1930 and you had to decide on shimming the spokes or NOT PAYING THE MORTGAGE and LOOSING THE FARM , you would shim the spokes ...not the best solution and temporay at best BUT it has been done before ...still an optimist gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 06:14 pm:

this is what I did.....stutzman spokes I built a Reagan press and pressed 'em in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

At the risk of being booed off the forum it is possible to add shims.
A couple of years ago, my friend Lee called that someone had just driven their T from Kansas to near his home in Chula Vista and one rear wheel was "clicking".. I went down, we pulled the wheel and brought the wheel to the barn. I numbered the spokes and then pulled the wheel apart. I glued an oak veneer shim to one side of every even numbered spoke. After the glue on the six shims had dried, I cleaned up each shim and reassembled the wheel with my home made press. A few hours later it was returned to the owner and next day he set back off to Kansas. I saw him on the recent New Mexico tour and it is still running just fine. JMHO

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on August 26, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Since I am new to this I figure this winter I'll respoke my front wheels, rears look really good, the felloes are heavily rusted on the front so they may need replaced also. I'll be making a trip to Colorado and I'll look up Dave Huson in Berthoud next month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Take your old felloes with you so that you can get an exact match, there are different brands and configurations. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration