Old photo.. Limestone, Maine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old photo.. Limestone, Maine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:30 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Yet another nice pic. Strange looking cowl on that car. Definitely not a Hilton! Probably had to share a bath....blech!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

I believe the cowl is one of these to make a '13-'14 look more "Modern".
Yes, Great photo.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Great Photo Richard!
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:46 pm:

Tim,

I am guessing you did not serve in the military. Oh, the joys of showering under a
standpipe on the LZ in freezing temps with your friends. Sleeping in a "circus tent"
with 250 other guys with smelly socks and bad gas. Traveling in 3rd world countries
is often just as much of an adventure.

I love these old school hotels. Stay in them whenever I can, and wish more were
still around. But most have been put out of business by the freeway-side Motel 6 type
of stop-n-rob places that reek of cleanser and stink-cover "perfumes".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 12:25 am:

We were up on the DMZ for a few months. We took our Baths in a little river that flowed along the edge of our perimeter. After a couple guys got shot up while bathing the LZ commander got nervous and brought in a portable shower and set it up in a tent. It should have pleased us but someone had decided we needed scalding hot water and no opportunity to cool it down. They pumped water out of the river into some kind of water heater and plumbed it into the shower heads but failed to run any plumbing for cold water. And we all hated it. We'd come in out of the bush and want a nice shower and would end up still taking our chances in the river. There'd be 4 or 5 guys in the water while a couple guys with M-16's would sit on the bank and keep Charlie from ruining our bath.

One night we got sappers in the wire out on the perimeter. A Sapper is a sneaky little guy that was able to crawl through the razor sharp concertina wire while loaded down with satchel charges. Every once in awhile we'd get them in the wire and end up shooting 4 or 5 of them. This particular night I happened to be on the LZ and was out on the perimeter when we got sappers in the wire. The shooting lasted a little longer that night as we shot the heck out of that darn portable shower. We hit it with M79 grenade launchers, M-60 and M-16 fire and if we could have we would have called in a direct fire mission to the 155 Howitzers. We were certain there were sappers somewhere close to that darn shower and really didn't have a choice but to shoot it up. After that, we took baths in the river.

I've still got a copy of an article from Stars and Stripes describing that night's extravaganza.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 12:43 am:

Makes a guy think a hotel like the one shown above was a downright cozy and inviting place !

After 3 years in AFG, it sure does for me !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Just a few weeks ago, before the Finger Lakes Tour, I stayed at the Lenhart Hotel at Bemus Point N.Y. It's on Chatauqua Lake which is really nice. It has bathrooms down the hall, but for $10 extra, I opted for an attached bathroom, which was probably added in the 1920's. This hotel was built in the 1880's.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration