Old photo.. Danforth, Maine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old photo.. Danforth, Maine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By D. R. Currier on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Cool pic. Great detail on that building. Those Masons did an outstanding job of block laying. Perfect lines. Wonder if the dog is sitting in the folded up top or on the hill behind it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Check out the Color of the Car! Looks like a 12 with Fore Doors?
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Any ideas as to the apparatus next to the man? There appears to be a similar or related object just inside the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

I think that he is leaning on a gas pump. The door to the pump is open.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

Gas pump! By gosh, I think you got it! Made me think of what early designs there were, that I've never seen. Found this link while searching.
http://www.petrolplaza.com/technology/articles/MiZlbiYxMDI5NiYmMSYxJjc5Jg%3D%3D
As for the photo here... there was 'convenience' way before convenience 'stores' were ever thought of!Gas pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Tim,

I don't believe that's real block. There was siding like that, made of metal, available then. Look at a horizontal row of "block" and notice how every block looks identical in that row. Then look at the next row up and notice how they all differ from the last row but look all the same at that level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

just for some more information........

The Danforth Garage was located on Depot Street between the Mark Lodge residence (first known as a boarding house of William Foss) and the residence of Mancil Gillis on the left. The building was covered with metal, which was a rarity in this woods town. Gasoline sold for 19 cents per gallon. Notice the 55-gallon drum used to store the fuel and the hand pump and black hose for fill-ups. Because the building was built on a hill, there was another large space under the main floor for mechanics’ work, entered from Central Street. A very nice apartment occupied the second floor. Clarence “Weiger” Spinney operated this garage for many years. He was one of the most competent mechanics in Danforth.

An interesting story about the garage is that a man named William Springer put together a small plane in the front of the building. So that he wouldn’t have to take the plane apart to get out of the building, he had the entire front of the building removed when it was finished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/519925.html?1424542381

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Thanks Jerry, & Steve. Never thought of that, in fact, forgot all about buildings being skinned in metal. I now remember seeing a couple back in Huron Oh. when there USED to be a town before urban renewal destroyed it all, that had that metal stuff. Anyway, sure looks nice. But we still don't know about that dog!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Great Photo! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

david. what you are seeing is the open door of the gas pump outside. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

Yep, Tom and Charley, Gas pump. It was the photo illusion made me think there was something just inside the door. I found the 'petrolplaza' link with the photo I posted above when I typed '1912 era gas pump' on Google. There is a large collection of photos there if you care to take a look.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

david all i have to do is go out side or to my shop, about 75 to 100 pumps all kinds.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Charley, I'll bet they cover quite a few years. What do you figure your oldest one to be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

about 03, but i have a tokiem for a wooden barrel with a glass dome that that could be a lot older. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration