Tight fitting coils in a '26 coil box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tight fitting coils in a '26 coil box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Since buying the '26 roadster, the coils have been tight fitting especially at the corners of the box. I recently replaced the old wood with the new plastic replacement and the corner coils are tighter than before and I can't seem to get the box to square up for them to slide in. All are KW repaired Genuine wooden coils. They even fit tight in my '25 coupe's coil box, but not as bad. Any suggestions? I'm taking a coffee break!

Joe R. Independence, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Sand 'em down a bit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:48 am:

What Tim said. The wood has swelled a little. Once sanded, you can coat them either with varnish or with a little floor wax (or both) to repel water and make them easier to remove in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

I had this same problem. You may find that as you sand them, the sides may be cupped a little. If you can, use a belt sander to keep things flat. Also make sure your coil box is clean and not the cause of the problem. I used paste floor wax. Worked for me. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

And easy on the wax. One of my early t mentors, operating on the theory that if a little bit is good, a whole gob is better,glued his in tight. Otherwise works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

A lot of beer is better than just a little. But it doesn't work with wax? Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

Mike, On a hot summer day I can do great damage to a 36 pack of heavy, malty,old fashioned 5% abv Wisconsin beer. And hobble less and move easier,and not schlur my spleech.But,25 or 30 6%abv fuesel-ethanol nasty malt liquors even I would be smashed. Same thing with that wax. The thick, probably 40 year old car paste wax Jack used to slick up his coils was like glue. It's all a matter of degrees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

WOW, in three hours we've gone from sanding to wax to beer :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 03:40 pm:

Progress Gary, progress!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

Thank you for the help and I will do that trick as soon as the monsoons end here. Thanks again.

Joe R. Independence, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

Thanks for the help and I will try that as soon as the monsoons end here. Again, thanks for the help.

Joe R. Independence, MO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Sorry for the double post, time for a coffee, no scratch that, wine break.

Joe R. Independence, Mo.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration