Battery info. for 1918 p/u...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Battery info. for 1918 p/u...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

So on a magneto car where was the battery located if at all and was the same batter box used as in later cars or? I am guessing that some kind of battery might have been used to aid in starting and that it was charged by the magneto?

This is my first magneto only T. Thoughts?

thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

No factory battery. Most put dry cells either next to gas tank under seat, or aftermarket box on running board. No provision for charging

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

When new, they would start OK with crank in warm weather. With stiff oil between the clutch discs they are a chore. The first several T's I built up all had no starter installed. If you add a box, a 12.volt lawnmower battery works good. Charge as needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

Thank you, I noticed on my switch on the front of the coil box that I could turn the key to either batt or mag. That is what got me to thinking about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

Hi From Iowa: Don't forget that if the mag is working - you can charge a reg bat just fine with one of John R's nifty kits! I've been using one for years now & it works GREAT! Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, August 25, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

Yes, they do have a 'Bat'side.What is the body of your switch made of? Hard rubber, like Bakelite, or metal cover? Also, horn switch button also knob for headlights? While I have never built,or for that matter even been around a car that was absolutely 'authentic 'I get a kick out of seeing what early components a T has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:05 am:

Although Mister Ford didn't supply batteries with his non-starter cars, he was realistic enough to provide a switch position for one as you noted. Many Fords start easier on battery than on magneto. Here's what I use in my 1915 roadster.

A regular six volt automotive battery worked fine, but took up way too much scarce trunk space. So I went online and found a much smaller sealed battery for under $30.

It rides out of sight and practically out of mind inside the frame rail.

This magneto battery charger keeps it ready to go.

Just be sure the diode is aimed in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:40 am:

Thank you, this really helps. What size diode?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:09 am:

Is the T 6 volt pos ground?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:47 am:

6 volt negative ground.

I saw a reference for a 25-30 A diode in one thread and a reference for a diode called 1N1194A in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/23876.html

The MTFCA electrical book also has a build scheme for this - can't remember if it recommends a specific diode. John Regans ready made charging kit is a relatively cheap option: http://www.funprojects.com/products/hsbck1.aspx

(Message edited by Roger K on August 26, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Most folks back in the pre - WWI era used old telephone batteries in their Model T's. Those were 9 volts I believe.

I have four T's that are all 1917 or earlier. No charging systems on any of them. I have batteries in all of them to run brake lights and on three cars, headlights. The batteries need to be hooked up to a charger perhaps once a month, as I rarely drive at night and the brake light uses almost zero power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Steve Jelf's small 12V sealed battery is used as a backup power source for Verizon (and perhaps other) telephone land-line systems. They are widely available and are rechargeable with a regular 12V trickle charger. If you want to be really lazy, VW has a solar battery charger (with a factory part number) that you could use. I believe that the part number is ICO 915 687 DC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:34 am:

I use the small 12 volt battery in both of my '13s. In the touring it's under the back seat, and in the roadster it's in the tool tray in back of the gas tank. They last a long time, and can be recharged too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Correction: My battery is six volts.

Royce is correct about dry cell telephone batteries being used during the Morel T era. They were (are) 1 volts, so more than one was needed. But they were produced in the millions, and therefore were plentiful and cheap.

Not so today. Very few are made, and they are NOT cheap. A good choice for your car a hundred years ago, but not now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 10:09 am:

http://www.batteryclerk.com/products/universal-ub6120-t-6v-12ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html?spid=AJC-C12S-A-1-154903&aid=AJCC12SA1154903

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 10:24 am:

I am using a lawn tractor battery in my '10. Available at any hardware or auto part store. It's under the back seat. I made a hold down bracket using some scrap aluminum and some brass screws, with two pieces of all thread to secure it:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Ok, a lot to think about here. Thanks guys.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration