Old Shorpy Photo. Car with historic connections with interesting trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Shorpy Photo. Car with historic connections with interesting trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:29 am:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/21243

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:57 am:

"If I had a hammer"

~Pete Seeger
(The baby in the car)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:35 am:

It's amazing the poor Ford managed to pull that heavy trailer out into rural areas.. Couldn't have been out of low much of the time?

Looks like Firestone demountables and the T has side lamps in 1921 - maybe a cheapo non electric 1920 or '21 (or earlier) car that had been accessorized. It's likely it had an accessory transmission too - or Ford's then fairly new 4:1 rear axle gear option?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Is that Harold Lloyd standing with his hands on his hips?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:36 am:

And no auxiliary brakes! Solid tires on the trailer, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:50 am:

Here's where Dane posted the same link in 2014:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/419942.html

It's deja vu all over again.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:22 am:

It's not the same link - it shows another photo from the same event. And it's certainly interesting for forum readers to see what a Model T could be used for back in the day.

..Plus there should be a few forum newbies since then. Old threads can't be brought to top again like at other forums.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

Seegar may have been an artistic genius but his ignorance of physics was stellar!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

The infamous White Star Lines is there. 6 years after the sinking of the Britannic and 9 years after the sinking of the Titanic. It's a wonder the company stayed in business after losing two ships.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

To John Semprez: I'm not disagreeing, but could you elaborate?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Dane,

Thanks for posting the link with another view. I still wish the people would stand behind the car.....

I still believe the car is “around” the Apr 1917 time frame of production. The black radiator puts it in the 1917 and later time frame. And from the previous posting we can see the later NON-riveted windshield bracket puts it in about Apr 1917 or later production. But the equal length windshield hinges put it in about the Apr 1917 or earlier to 1915 production. So it appears it is “around” the Apr 1917 time frame of production. And of course that assumes those parts were original to the car. Ref: ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc17.htmit (see the discussion/references at the previous posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/419942.html where we could zoom in and see the windshield hinges clearly and I believe the black steering gear case.

But if anyone finds a better photo of the steering gear case and the type of horn button I would like to add that to the series.

Roger it isn't just the new forum members that may not have seen an earlier posting but several of us sometimes forget what we saw a few years ago..... But I would much rather they be posted a few times than someone assumes they were discussed before and I missed them.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 05:34 am:

Hap said- "but several of us sometimes forget what we saw a few years ago...."

Yes and one of us forgot what he had posted in 2014!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 06:36 am:

Dane,

Not to worry. It happens to most of us sometime somewhere.

I love the story a college professor once shared. He had been teaching graduate students for years and was really good at helping his students connect with the lessons; grasp the content and how to apply it in a practical way to life. He was talking with one of his students out side of class. The conversation was friendly and the student shared an observation about a subject he had taken the previous semester. The professor commented, "That is really good, I need to write that down!” And the student replied, “It should be good -- you said it.”

One of my heroes, Dawson Trotman ( http://www.navigators.org/About-Us/History?APCode=E294&gclid=CL6khL2x4c4CFdgBgQo dLHQFeQ ) once said, “The faintest of ink is better than the best of memories.” That is especially helpful for work I have done on our cars. A small notebook helps me keep track of how many miles ago I checked the bearings (and I like to keep track of how many shims if any were removed); greased the car etc.

Again thank you for posting the photo with the interesting story. And thank you Royce for connecting it with the previous posting.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 08:12 am:

And as Roger Karlsson stated, others may not have seen the original post. While I don't comment on every old photo posted, I do enjoy seeing them and appreciate them being posted.......even if it is more than once.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration