New Ebay Menace

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New Ebay Menace
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:53 am:

I noticed this morning that somebody has figured out how to defeat my well-tuned search criteria and is now dumping thousands of listings for cheap modern consumer goods into my searches. Even selecting "used" doesn't work. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:07 am:

I just looked, it's working fine for me, with no new clutter. Purge your cookies and history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:02 am:

Use quotation marks around "model t" when searching ebay, then choose "Ebay motors" in the LH margin - then you have more than 6,000 hits where the majority in the first pages is Model T related, but a lot of unrelated shift knobs and hot rod radiators as well. Add -knob -aluminum to the search and choose "ebay motors" again and you'll reduce the number of hits by 1/3 and most of it is T related :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Manny Kourounis on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:06 am:

click on 4 on number of cylinders eliminates even the hot rods

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Ebay should crack down on the rude sellers that spam the search engine with an arms length list of "key words" in their item description. You shouldn't have to juggle 5 running chain saws while jumping up and down on one foot whistling Dixie to defeat the search engine spammers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 11:06 am:

I keep mine simple Model T -fits in the used Ebay motors section. Little over 1800 items, most are model T and some A parts. Even allowing for new, I get 3700+ parts. Just using -fits should remove the vast majority of junk.
3700+ would be a task if you only look once or twice a week. If you check each day to see what is new, not bad.
There are a couple of sellers that I wish would do some study time to learn what is a Model A or T part. One or two items I could understand, but every part listing has both Model T and A in the title. Most of the time that one sellers parts are one or the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Remember the good old days when there were generally only around 800 "model t" items on ebay at any one time and maybe only 5% of what you saw was un-related.

When you could see the i.d.'s of other bidders and sometimes knew who you were bidding against?

When you could freely email sellers and other bidders?

When you could buy something and just drop a check in the mail a day or two later?

When ebay didn't send you an email EVERY DAY an auction was active that was similar to one of your "saved searches".

When ebay was more "grown up" and didn't say stupid things like "Yay! Your the highest bidder! The race is on!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Adam, I remember the day when you went to a swap meet to get your parts! E bay was still on lake somewhere............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Very happy with eBay - I've sold close to $100,000 in the past 10 years, and probably bought half that much in the same period. Sold $1500 in the past 60 days. Sure they keep tweaking things, but it does not seem to dissuade buyers or sellers.

I don't see anything different today Mark, maybe you need to look again? You have to select "Used" in the part condition box every time, it won't stay as a default from what I can see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Thanks for the suggestions! Putting "Model T" in quotes helped a lot, I will continue to fine tune.

I cleared my history and cookies, it didn't seem to have much effect (for me).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

Purging my cookies might make a mess on the keyboard. :-)

What aggravates me is a certain vendor has alot of their modern stuff listed as "Fits Model T".
Afraid to speak the name as i may get a phone call but anyhow,if you search much on ebay you know which company it is.

A certain part may fight a jalopy that wasted some T parts but not a factory car. Ebay should deal with that.
If I want rat rod parts, I will key that into the search.

the other day I did a search for a ignition switch, stuff came up that would fit my 66 f100 alot better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Adam;
To stop the emails with all the new items listed:
Open the Account tab
Click on Communications Preferences
click on Buyer Saved
Open the box on each of your saves searches if they DO NOT say none
Click none
Click Save
Done
Thanks for the reminder, I just did mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Wait until you open an eBay store. Then eBay will calll you at home to have an "expert" evaluate your listings and suggest ways to improve sales. All of which just so happen to involve higher listing fees.

They call about once a week. I just inform them that I am not interested in anything eBay has to say and hang up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

A number of used T parts sellers adds rat or hot rod to the title just to get viewers. Just because it says rat or hot rod does not mean they are bad parts. (including ignitions switches)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen banks on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

It's really gotten bad. I was searching for a "padlock" with "key" under antiques and all of these brand new locks show up. Some were hello kitty stuff. I don't get it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration