Question about routing. Rt 1 or A1A in Florida, Planning a Model T trip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question about routing. Rt 1 or A1A in Florida, Planning a Model T trip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Sometime this winter when the humidity and temperature drops to a point where I don't have to struggle to breath anymore I want to take my 1919 Touring car to cross the 7 mile bridge in the keys and go to the end from my place here in Melbourne. It's been on my bucket list for many years. Has anyone taken Rt 1 all the way to the Keys? I would like to stay off Rt. A1A because of the salt spray coming off the ocean. Rt-1 is far enough from the ocean where the salt spray should not be a problem. Is Rt-1 all 55mph and dual lanes or is there areas that would best be avoided for a slow moving 97 year old car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Hard to get away from the salt air in the keys. I go down there all the time and I would not be afraid to drive a t down the keys. I see mopeds running across the 7 mile a lot. I don't know about the trip from Melbourne. Parking is tough in key west but you'll find a spot. When the ships come in be carefull some of them don't have the same manners we do and you'll find people in your car taking pictures.
You Could make amusing but they dont read English. At least that's what they'll tell you. They just think that's what it's there for. I've spent a lot of time down there in big boats and it is a blast but pay attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

Any update? I live in Key Largo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

There is a stretch south of Miami that is two-laned, around Homestead, I think. So a slow mover would not be terribly appreciated. Last time we went to Key West (2015) it took 5 hours from Miami to Key West in a modern car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

I did drive the old road Homestead - Miami in a modern car when on vacation in FL last year - the last bit took quite some time, lots of traffic lights, so a slow car wouldn't matter much there - it would still take the same time, I think :-)

My reply is more meant to remind anyone passing by Homestead to stop and have a look at the Coral Castle - an amazing sculpture park made by one little man during the 30's and 40's. Some T content too, he bought old T parts from the neighboring wrecking yard and put them to other uses :-) http://coralcastle.com/museum-info/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Thank you everyone for your input, I think my wife and I are going to take a ride in the modern car first. If that one gentleman came drive his T half way around the world I should be able to get the 7 mile bridge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Will, no offense, but the last time I drove/rode in anything in Florida I found that 90% of the Floridian drivers drove like they were virtually insane! That said, I wouldn't drive a model T ANYWHERE in Florida outside of the so-called "backroads" there. And 7 mile bridge? Better make sure everything's top notch condition. Sure wouldn't want a breakdown there, even if it is now improved with 4 lanes! Just my overly conservative thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 02:16 am:

Well, Tim, as a natural-born Florida cracker, I find your remarks a little insulting. I'll remind you that about 80% of the people in Florida moved here from somewhere else and a good number of them are insane and some are idiots as well. Come for a visit and I'll show you some "backroads" that aren't so-called. That said, I doubt that I'd tackle the road to Key West but then there's not much about the place to attract me anyway. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 08:15 am:

Tim: My Father said there are only 4 times when someone from Out-OF-State can't drive in Florida (He was a State Trooper) when it is raining, When it is dark outside, when it is foggy, or when the sun is shining! BTW I drive My "T" all the time down here. I too am a native Floridian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Bob H,

As a transitioning not yet homesteader, with all due respect, driving in Florida at least here on the Sun Coast is a wee bit different than the north! I'm adjusting slowly...my wife is still just observing and we think we are getting the hang of it :-)

Seriously, the traffic light changes are 4 times longer, but that is ok...if someone is in the right lane clearly marked right turn only you have a 40% chance they go straight...if left turn and clearly marked as such somewhere around 5% will change minds at the last second. On 3 lane each side Florida state roads, most accidents occur in the right curb lane...the first car stops for no reason, the second car does a bumper bump and the 3rd car tries to do a Dukes of hazard launch. Have seen that way too many times to feel comfy. 18 wheelers usually use the center lane on a 3 lane side...if in a T get behind them, they never get over 20 because they never get to use their whole shift pattern before the next red light is seen or a local claims right of way in crossing the street!

I'm ok with all that, what scares me more is that you can't leave 100 feet between you and the car in front of you or someone will hole shot you with a right turn on red and then drive 20 mph for the next 1.4 mile to make sure you are not going to retaliate in any way.

Sure, maybe they are northern transplants...but the guy who sideswiped the entire driver side of my car Friday while it was legally stopped was a native! There was no time to get mad at him with Florida justice. Before we could swap info, cop was there and made immediate conclusions. Me 0% at fault, him 100%...he got ticket for careless, fine was explained as 160 bucks plus 4 points! I even felt his ouch :-). Cop even asked if I planned to sue as he wanted to let the insurance co know up front on the e-file he was creating.

All that said...back roads here ARE charming, I'll get one of the Ts down here someday hopefully soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:42 am:

As far as driving a T on the stretch and down the keys its ok once you get to key largo. The stretch is the killer part (being the portion between homestead and key largo. With the new bridge they have eliminated any way to pass except in a couple spots. Typically anything slower than 55 is enough to frustrate someone. On the few passing zones the speed typically increases to 75-80 as everybody tries to pass. Once the passing lane is over nobody can figure out how to merge and the speed drops from 75 to 30-35 thru hard braking. It might be better to run the longer route over the steep single lane toll bridge as there is an ability for cars to pass on the northern route. The drawback is that there is no shoulder on the longer route. As far as driving in the city expect the unexpected 3-5 times more than normal. Expect driver to be frustrated with you. Expect nobody to have a clue how a T turn signal works. Don't be surprised seeing a car in reverse on the road because they missed their turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

Hi, George. I think you and I may have met. Did you join the Suncoast T Club a few months ago? Or at least attend a couple of our meetings? Believe me, our northern transplants don't have a lock on stupid driving, they're everywhere. Like I told Karen when she was going out to run some errands on a rainy day, "Remember, there are lots of idiots out there and when the roads are wet they're still idiots." I look forward to seeing you again soon. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Bob,

Yeah, I'm that short fat guy who rode shotgun in Ben's T for one of the outings and we have met at a Suncoast T 'doo'.

I loved it and the rest of the gang! I love that second Saturday of the month always something...but I'm only here so far 2 of those 2nd Saturdays per year. (I'd be here 3 like in this month...but the gang moved to 3rd Saturday because of Hershey) In the last year 2 if not 3 of the roundup start offs have been within a mile of the Florida house...how convenient would that have been!

But one thing is for sure...these Florida back roads are ideal for T driving, that's for sure. Someday the Hack will migrate here...I just need to be there up north for the mount out...and down here in Indian Rocks when the delivery is made...lol The day I can figure that window is the day it gets done. I keep looking around here to pick up one to get by until something makes its way south...no such luck for what I think a "get by" should cost...lol

I'll make one of these Sun Coast outings some day soon here and look forward to meeting up with you again. Once I get Momma Bear to decide to homestead (each year property tax savings will pay to move one car by Horseless!!!!! Positive thinking, here) ...lol...and move the 'barn' contents south then I'll prob be loaning out cars for the 'doos'...haha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

We usually take my Mom from N. California to Seattle once a year to visit her Granddaughter (and I work on her player piano), usually in August and it turns out to be the sunniest and hottest days of the year. This year we couldn't go in August and will go in a week. The forecast is for typical Seattle weather--RAIN! Cool, even cold. I'm not looking forward to the drive, fingers crossed the forecast will change. Them city folks drive funny!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration