Car wont start

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Car wont start
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Ok new problem

Last night I started my T up like I normally do.It started right up only to die out about 40 seconds later. I tried again, it started, only to die yet again. So I figured it was either the carb or the battery. After pushing my horn button and headlights,nothing worked. So it was not my carb. I charged the battery over night thinking perhaps it was just out of juice. (I do forget to put in on magneto sometimes) Anyways, this morning plugged it all back in and still the same problem. I pushed the ground wire in even more into the battery and started the car up, switched to magneto and the car ran perfectly. But when I came out again after 20 mins, I found I was stuck at the same problem. Car wont start, headlights and horn wont work. Something is shorting or draining this car as fast I can get out there. Could it be the generator at this point? I would appreciate any thoughts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Might be a bad battery, that looks like it is taking a charge, but really has no capacity. Pull the batt out of the car, charge it, then give it a load and see it it can power it.

My next thought is a bad connection.

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

"I pushed the ground wire in even more into the battery......"

Not sure what THAT means,.....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

The battery is brand new. The ground wire meaning the connector that goes on the battery. I pushed it all the way down, but that didn't work. Car still drains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

From what you posted, I would suspect the ground wire. Did you clean the posts and the connectors on the cables when you installed the battery, and did you tighten the bolts which hold the cables tight on the battery posts? Also, how is the connection where the ground strap is connected to the frame? Maybe you need a new ground strap.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Aaaaah,......tightened battery ground terminal,.......got it! Ya' sure had me "wondering" on that one Derrick, ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

Nice looking car in your profile!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 05:27 pm:

Derrick, an easy way to test for a short is to take the negative cable off the battery. Then put a test light (capable of testing 6 volt systems) or a volt meter between the negative cable and the battery terminal.

If you have a short, it will light the light or show voltage on the meter. At that point you can start disconnecting wires at the terminal block one by one until the light goes out or the meter reads zero.

Of course before testing, make sure the battery is charged.

The other option as stated above by Joe was the battery may not be able to support a load. But T coils on battery don't drain a battery (a good one anyhow) that quick. Some places may not be able to load test a 6V battery, two T headlamps is a pretty good do it yourself load test though. If they are not bright, it cant support the load. They need to be wired directly to the battery to eliminate any other potential wiring / switch issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

That "new" battery may have sat on the shelf for ages, or may be defective - it's happened to me before. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it for another one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Paddison on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Derrick,

Even if the battery is new, doesn't mean you don't have a broken plate. I had a battery do that...only a year old too. I think it was damaged after I hit a chuck hole. after a while it just wouldn't hold a charge at all.

wouldn't take more then 10 minutes or so to switch out a battery and test the theory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

Ok I will go switch it out. Martynn Vowell helped me switch out the brushes In my generator. So I doubt it's that. I will see it a new battery is any better. Might also be time for a new ground wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

I'm surprised no one has asked about the ammeter. When the car is running does the ammeter indicate that the generator is charging? When it is off does it show a discharge? If the battery is discharging when the car is off, it could be that the generator cutout is stuck closed. That will allow the battery to charge while running, but will run the battery down when it is off. Worth checking out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Sounds like a problem I had a while ago and posted what I found. Negative Battery cable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Steve, I'm thinking it's something with the generator as well. But I got the new voltage regulators, and I heard it was suppose to be the thing to get. But alas, something always happens. =\

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration