26-27 Steering Shaft Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 26-27 Steering Shaft Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

I have a 4-1 shaft with a good bottom connection to the pitman [no wear].But like to save the 5-1 steering that i have on the car ,But there is a lot of wear at the bottom --Question Can i cut the shaft and weld in the bottom of the other with a coupler ?
--I know get a new one ...just curios if its ever have been done , Thank you Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

Lorenzo, let's approach this from a different angle. Why not build up the bottom of the worn shaft,if you are going to that trouble. Myself, I have never had a problem finding a good used one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Or, in other words what you suggest does not sound like a good idea.To me, anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

Building up the tapered end and keyway sounds like a safer idea than cutting and welding the end of the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:05 am:

I have changed length of the steering shaft by cutting and welding...not a problem. I made the weld inside the steering column area so it couldn't be seen. I also put a section (6 inches) of tubing over the weld area and brazed on....just in case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

Thank you John, looks like it can be done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

I have another Question ,Can the pins be brazed to the flange if the pins are loose on the holes?
or any other way to set them
Thank you Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Lorenzo,

Your steering shaft is junk. You need a better one or a new one. Especially when you say the pin holes are worn out as well. Throw that shaft away and don't take chances with your safety or that of your passengers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

There have been discussions on loose pins. Suggestions have included using Loctite....brazing is also workable. That shaft is not junk.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration