Minnesota State Fair - don't miss this historic automobile

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Minnesota State Fair - don't miss this historic automobile
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, August 26, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Minnesota Model T and antique automobile enthusiasts:

If any of you are going to this year's Minnesota State Fair, be sure to stop in the History & Heritage Center building on the West End of the fairgrounds to see my father's 1900 Waverley Electric.

This same car originally made its first and only previous at appearance the state fair in 1900 as part of "Minneapolis Day" where it was driven on the horse racing track.

This is rare a opportunity to see this very early historic vehicle which is seldom shown in public.

The car may be seen anytime during the fair from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm.

Also, my father and I will be with car from 1:00 to 5:00 pm on the following days:

Sunday, August 28
Monday, August 29
Thursday, September 1
Friday, September 2
Monday, September 4

Hope to see you at the fair!

Erik in Minneapolis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Erik, I thought you were going to tell us they brought Bonnie and Clyde's car around again. I heard once they were showing Bonnie and Clyde's car at six different State fairs at the same time. :-)

I'm hoping to get to the fair for a day this year. I'll watch for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:17 am:

If we make it this year, we will stop in. it might be the first time in about 20 years where I miss the fair. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Since most of us are a thousand miles or more from the fair some pictures would be nice Erik! Here's a photo of Erik and his dad from my April visit to the twin cities:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:42 am:

I promised the old man that I wouldn't post full pictures of the car because he doesn't want them floating on the internet and the eventual misinformation that evolves as folks harvest them for other purposes.

Here's a teaser photo for you. (The running gear is actually darker red and the stripes are cream, not white, but the digital camera always plays tricks.)

Note the resistor coils near the top of the photo under the read pinstripe. They are part of the electric braking system that was designed by a gentlemen who later made a fortune off the Model T Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

Oops. The 4th is a Sunday. Anyway, what's to keep people from taking pictures at the fair?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

You are correct - we will be there on Sunday, September 4. Thank you for catching that.

Nothing prevents folks from taking photos. However, we sat with the car last Thursday but the people who whip out their phones just to take a photo really don't seem to pay attention or bother reading the signs telling them what they are actually looking at.

Also - the car is on the north side of the building next to windows so it is hard to take a good picture because of the flash can't overcome the natural backlighting. I took quite a few photos of it at the fair and they're pretty crummy - the car is hard to see in the pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

I love the leather fenders!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:34 pm:

It is a beautiful car! I, too, was hoping for good pictures. However, I also understand your concerns. A long-time good friend has a small but fabulous collection, seen by many people. He was really upset a few years ago by such a problem (pictures splashed all over the internet). We talked about it for a bit (it wasn't me, I shared his concerns before that incident and always respect his feelings).
Your dad's Waverley is an incredible car! I am pleased that you and he can share it at the fair this way. It, and so many other cars should be seen as the important pieces of history they are. It should be part of the education of the people of this country. It is part of why this hobby is so wonderful, and important. Preserving our history IS important. Private collectors are the keystone of that preservation.
My friend often provides cars for special events and displays. That is part of why I like him.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration