Need Help ID Carriage Lamps. Car? Boat? Probably NOT Model T.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need Help ID Carriage Lamps. Car? Boat? Probably NOT Model T.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Being represented as for Model T, but I'm not convinced. Overall size of 7 1/2" seems small and blue and while secondary lense seems out of plce for automobile use. Nautical?

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 11:12 am:

Lamps for an electric car.

Also, some high end gasoline sedans used lamps like that on the door pillars but they were usually larger.

The brackets look too crude and may have been made up after the fact.

The porcelain socket is an indication that they may converted to 110 volt and used for interior or exterior decoration.

I would have to see them in person to make a better determination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 11:27 am:

The font size looks too small to hold much oil and too short for much of a candle for the carriage trade. Maybe they were just made for the decorative market in the first place. What is the link to the auction?
If they are old the glass could have turned purple as some old bottles and few T headlight lens do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 11:57 am:

They're a typical style of lamp for an electric car, especially given the size - that's why they have such a short stub on the bottom.

They probably were originally painted black and any exposed brass would most likely have been nickel plated.

With the curved beveled glass and the workmanship they're too high quality in my opinion to have been originally meant for house decoration. Household sconces that are designed to look like carriage lamps are usually pretty crude compared to the real thing.

Do they have a jewel on the back? If they do, I believe that would rule out household sconce. (The dark circle in reflector indicates that they do have jewels.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

PS: They also could have been factory issue or aftermarket on a gasoline powered car that had an electrical system. In that case, they could have been polished brass and shown, not painted or nickel typical of an electric car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Hear in PM that these may be French automobilt side lights. Seller says that they are marked Modle 176 which would play into being French with that spelling. I have put the PM member in touch with the seller.
Now that I know they are not proper for my project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Hard to tell by these pictures, I am not sure they are lights at all. Could be modern architectural pieces made to kind of look like old time lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:20 am:

Seller states wicks in place, but I agree, small oil resevoir makes for short illumination life. If they are design items only, why the wicks and useable keresone cup?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Robert;
Can you post a link to the ad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Similar lamp is available at a thrift store near me, asking price $100, crack in lens.

Guess it would be for elec car, has Ediswan elec bulb socket, no kerosene burner. Has spade type bracket on the rear. No ruby glass button.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration