A 1910 runabout on eBay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A 1910 runabout on eBay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 11:18 am:

It does appear to have a 1910 - ish open valve block, and a 1910 era 6 rivet rear axle. The lamps are all wrong, and many other details are wrong, but maybe the body is real? I don't know enough about 1910 runabouts to tell, and would like to know if it is a real one. The price seems to be a stretch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-Runabout-/322238966616?forcerrptr=true&hash =item4b06f06b58:g:yGgAAOSwaB5XvHLF&item=322238966616

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 11:58 am:

Nice looking car. Refreshing to see the seller has done some homework and provided are pretty accurate description. Front axle looks to be a later one, hard to tell for sure. If this thing was restored in the 50's there's a good chance most of the body is original. But it now price is optimistic, but I bet it will get bid to at least half that easily. You never know with Tbay. I'll be watching.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

the seat is buggy the rest of the body is home made. there is a lot more wrong than right on this one!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Charley, good to know. I'm a lot more familiar with the chassis than the bodies of the early cars. Still a good looking car, but the buyer needs to have guys like you check it out in person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

I sure don't know enough about brass era "T's, especially the real early ones, but the "Buy It Now" price seems like enough to buy two of 'em! And for "big money" like that, it ought to have a top! Even knowing as little as I do about Brass era "T's, things like that "Harwood" plate below the radiator, and the brass "house address numbers" below the windshield really should be a "tip-off", right? Not to say that it isn't a pretty car alright, ......but, ......???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

The seat does look the same as the buggy seat on our old 22 bitsa pick up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

if the car was realy right the price wouldn't be that far off.not everyone gets a deal like Royce ha.ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 06:47 pm:

How can you ask that much for a car that does not even have a top! As Charley says, so much more wrong than right! carbie, manifold, coilbox & coils, front axle assembly, hood former, complete body,(this is 1912 style with the high backed seat but not even a good reproduction),. Not very good pics of the feature of an early car, the open valve block and not a picture of the hogshead, also a rare feature of 09/10 cars. Much better cars out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

I'm not seeing all the pics on my phone but I'll check later on the computer. Its only about an hour or so from me maybe I'll go kick the tires & slam the doors!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Tim - While you're there "slamming doors" (good luck on that one!) you might mention the fact that it was certainly a "novel" idea to put the original owners house address on the firewall! Ha,ha, ....harold (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

Warwick! the body is not even close to a 12, just plan junk!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

The engine block (maybe?) and the rear end (maybe part of it?) are probably the only 1910 parts. The frame is late '10s, nothing of the body is real authentic '10. Sadly, another dealer-hyped fake. I am sorry Harwood, but you clearly need to get better experts before you write glowing descriptions!

As for the engine block, I do see a couple details that should be there for a '10. But I cannot see a couple others. It could be faked, or, it could be real. It would have to be looked at closely by someone (preferably better than I?) to be certain.
If the block is real? The block alone would be worth more than the rest of the car would be worth without it.
Note also, the pan, head, and hogshead are all later. The car was probably restored back in the '50s/'60s when original blocks were still available. A good long-time friend of mine (two of them actually!) started with one correct part (each). Both to this day still have the almost totally correct 1910 touring cars that they assembled in the '60s.
So it could have been done in those days. Both of my friends cared enough about what they were doing to do it right. Whoever put this together? Didn't care enough.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

Well, now that I saw the pics on the computer not nearly impressed enough to waste time and gas going up there. Whoever "o***o" is they must want it as they've bidded twice. They can have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I spoke briefly with the owner of this car last year. He showed up at the host motel during the Ohio Jamboree of T's. I politely told him that there were very few 1910 parts on the car and that the body was totally home made. Seeing as how he wanted something like $40K for the car, he didn't seem receptive of my comments. (really, I was very polite about it...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 11:07 am:

I'm sure the switch is wrong for a wood coil box,and are there wings on the radiator??Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

Well, it is what it is, and it could be a fun car for someone. My only objection is to pronounce it "very correct" in the description.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Barr on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

About the only 1910 reality is the engine block. So much wrong to be a 10 starting with the color. The rear hubs are wrong so the rear end is probably at least 1911 or later. Definitely tapered axles instead of straight. Seats are really bad. Nothing like they should look. Check out the September 1999 issue of The Model T Times to see what a 10 should really look like. I attached a couple of pictures.An original 1910 engineDetail of 1910 fan assemblyRestored 1910 engine
1910 Touring that is correct

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

Shouldn't there be wings? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

Encyclopedia says:

1909-1910

The same as 1909. Standard Ford script used in addition to “winged.”

Supplied by McCord and Detroit until about 17,000. Ford began making radiators beginning about 12,000, and supplied all after about 17,000. It may be the Ford brand that began the standard “Ford” script on the upper tank. Mounted with studs instead of screws. About mid-year, 1910, a number of modifications were made, including a higher filler neck and the addition of the support bar across the lower part of the radiator core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 07:33 am:

Great pictures John. Now I have to find the article on my VF CD-ROM.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration