Free low res copy of Model T Ford invoice #1

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Free low res copy of Model T Ford invoice #1
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

While looking at some other items, I noticed the Benson Ford Archives is currently offering a free download of the invoice for Model T serial #1. For us low budget researchers -- this appears to be very reasonable price.

I can see more information on that copy than I can in the copies I have seen in books etc. If you want a copy to frame and display -- you will probably need to purchase the higher resolution copy.

Either copy is available from them by clicking on the link below (this works on a PC I don't know about a Mac):

https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/312908/#slide=gs-179807 which brings up the screen shown below:

Then left Click on the expand the photo icon shown in the lower right hand side of the screen shot above.

That will give you the screen shown below:

And clicking on that icon the arrow points towards will give you the screen shot below:

Note, you can zoom in on the photo on their web site by clicking on their plus sign located inside the magnifier glass. You can really zoom in and it is the clearest look I have had of that shipping document. And then you can, from the drop down menu click on "save image as" and save that much higher resolution copy of that section of the illustration. But you only get the section that you see on the screen.

It brightened up my day and it help me avoid yard work.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Cool piece of history Hap, thanks for posting. I just downloaded the low resolution copy on my MacBook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Above the company name at the top of the invoice it says ''motor changed to ?'' I can't read the number. I wonder why it was changed out? Does Ford have engine # 1? Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

Thanks Hap! I just printed off a fairly nice copy of it on my I-Mac. Cool. Sure wish I could get one of these for my '12. And the '13 and the '15....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/492557.html?1415601362

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Can someone read what it says under remarks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Gary,

Mark posted the link I mention below -- he types faster.

We do not know what happened to engine #1. Trent Boggess’ research and excellent article on Model T #1 along with a lot of other information on Model T #1 is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/492557.html?1415588185

If you scroll down to where Trent’s article has been pasted in, on page 23 and beginning of page 24 of the Nov-Dec 2004 “Vintage Ford” magazine Trent discusses Model T #1, the shipping document, that the engine was most likely changed out to #57 around mid-Nov 1908 and a second time when engine 2090 was installed sometime after Apr 2, 1908. But he qualifies all of that with we do not have additional supporting evidence – so it may be confirmed or corrected some time in the future.

Trent did not speculate one why the engine might have been changed out. Remember – owners were still learning things like “check the oil” and Model T #1 would have used more than the average amount of oil (from memory that is discussed in Trent’s article – how the very earliest Model Ts had an extra oil line that sort of dumped oil and was removed very early on.)

Note Jay Klehfoth kindly sent me a PDF version of Trent's "Model T Number One" article from the Nov-Dec 2004 "Vintage Ford" magazine. It is a little under 5 mgs so it is too large for me to post on the forum in that format. But if you or anyone else would like a free copy of the PDF, please send me an e-mail with something in the subject such as "Send Trent's Model T Number One article" or something similar. If you click on my name it brings up my profile and my e-mail address is the third line down. The club allows us to share those articles to help promote our hobby and our club. They are for non-commercial use. The PDF allows you to see additional details and to do word searches etc. A BIG THANK YOU to Trent for writing it and to Jay for sending it to me so we could make it available to others who may not have that issue of the “Vintage Ford.”

The posting contains a low resolution JPG copy. Note one minor correction that Trent mentioned in the posting, the location of the George Washington statue and photographs of the Model T Number One is near the entrance of Union Square park in New York City and NOT near NY's Central Park as originally published.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 03:28 am:

The Original Special K is Mr. Jay ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:25 am:

A second image of Model T #1 at NY's Union Park has been located by Rob Heyen, whose ability to find items related to Ford is beyond peer. The nice thing about the second image is that is a left front view and shows the left hand side of the car. The photo image published in the article Hap Tucker (Thank you Hap) mentions was a right front view of the car. The two photos together give us a pretty good idea of what Model T #1 looked like on October 15, 1908.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:10 am:

How about posting some of these pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Larry,

All three photos of what is believed to be Model T serial #1 are at the beginning of the posting both Mark and I referenced which is located at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/492557.html?1415588185 . I will try a little later to post the photo that trent had in his article at a higher resolution – but right now I need to concentrate on some “honey-do” items.

Note, Rob Heyen in that same discussion made the comment:

++++++++++++++++ reposted by Hap ++++++++++++++++++

By Rob Heyen on Sunday, November 09, 2014 - 08:24 am:
I've been mulling this over . Why would Henry and Edsel Ford fabricate a story that they located T number 1 after a difficult search, in Ohio? Wouldn't an outright lie invite media or someone to come forward and refute the claim? Wouldn't it have been "cleaner" to simply say FMC had the car all along, instead making up a story?

We often assume we are (pick the adjective) smarter, wiser, of higher character (questionable) than those who have gone before, when we often learn the opposite is sometimes the case. Is it possible that the car at THF is #1, at least the remains of #1 as it was probably improved while in service?

And, I noticed, it does appear to have the brass or aluminum hood former. Would Ford have added that "touch" to make it look authentic? If there's no written change record, how would Ford have remembered to change it back? Or could the hood former be a clue that this T is related to one of the very first?

Still mulling....

++++++++++++++++reposted by Hap +++++++++++++++++++

Is it possible that the body on the car below that used to be displayed in the Henry Ford Museum is the body from car #1? Clearly it is an early body – but how early? Two bolt body mounts and low latch on the rear doors.

And yes, it has the later fenders, some fabricated transmission parts etc. But I would like to know more about that car. For example what is the body number? What history does the Henry Ford Museum have on it? Did Henry Ford claim that was number 1?

Always more to explore and of course somethings we may never get figured out until they come up with a working time machine....

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

In the above picture it looks like 3 pedals and one lever. The first Model T's had 2 pedals and two levers.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Norm,

Yes, you are absolutely correct the earliest cars had the two lever and two pedal configuration. But the two bolt middle body mount disappeared very very quickly. What I am wondering out loud (ok typing) is, “Could that body been from Number 1?” And is it still at the Henry Ford so additional information about it could be found? Some of the other “First Fords” displayed by Ford had the higher rear door handle which makes it questionable if that is the original body on those cars. The earliest cars had the lower placement of the handle. And the earliest cars had the two bolt body mount front and middle. (Note the mother-in-law Roadster may have continued the two bolt body mounts front and middle longer than the touring cars.)

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

I just saved the pic at 499 Kb!
Thanks Hap!
Too cool.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration