Muffler Wrap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Muffler Wrap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scot Taylor on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

Is there a more durable alternative to the rather flimsy muffler wrap material offered by the suppliers? Possibly any real old stock asbestos sheet material available? Scot Taylor, email: roadster@olypen.com 360 460-7500

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

It's out there, just have to do a lot of hunting & get the word out. When you find it you will need to wet it and pat it down to get it plyable again. It will come back to life no matter how bad it looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Scot, Question, Why do you want to wrap your muffler? If its just to help cool things down some in the car I suggest going to a speed shop and buying exhaust pipe wrap. I have my entire exhaust system done in two layers of wrap and its helps keep the floorboards nice a cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ward Sherwood on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

Yes, it is made by Fiberfrax. You can get it by the foot from Vintage Steam Products.

http://vintagesteamproducts.com/t/insulation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scot Taylor on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

Ward thanks for the lead !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Will,
Some of the early cars had a wrap around the muffler from the factory like my 13 does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

Thanks Bob, See, Im never to old to learn something new! Who says ya can't teach old dogs new tricks! But then Im still trying to teach the wife how to fetch my tools! Been at it for 30+ years. She told me what I could do once but I don't think it will fit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:35 am:

For those who have wondered about the correct muffler to frame bolts, wonder no more! The cotter pin doesn't show up in that photo. Also, it appears the tapered pipe may have been replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 11:03 am:

This is a photo I took of Kim Dobbin's 1912 touring showing the original muffler wrap:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

How thick is the original muffler wrap material. The link ward gave shows two different thicknesses, 1/8" & 1/16"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

The muffler asbestos wrap, according to the Ford drawing, was 31-3/4" x 12-1/4" x 1/32" thick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:13 pm:

Thanks RV, most appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

i rapped a muffler with some new asbestos stuff & when it got hot it stunk so bad we had to stop and rip it off or you could not stay in the car. charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration