Brake Drum Lug Wear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brake Drum Lug Wear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

So I was driving my T and it's been running great, like a champ. No problems. And then I went to school, shut it off and went to class. When I came back out I went to start it up. I gave it 1/4 crank with choke, another quarter crank with choke, let go of the choke and when I went to give it a 1/4 crank to start it, it was extremely hard to pull the crank and the car tried to creep forward like suddenly it was in gear.

I thought I was going crazy so I went and double checked that the hand brake was pulled back, looked under the car to make sure the clutch arm wasn't bent and off the hand brake cam, everything was still in place. So I put the Warford in neutral and started the car, but if I pressed the brake or reverse to slow the tail shaft down, it would just kill the engine. I tried this a couple times and was about to give up when suddenly neutral returned and I was able to put it in gear and drive home like nothing happened.

That night I double checked my clutch finger adjustment, double checked the clutch arm bolt on the hand brake cam, double checked the clutch pedal to clutch arm linkage. Thought I had it licked. Next morning went to go for a test drive and same (cuss word) thing happened. Two 1/4 pulls and then wham she's stuck in gear. What in the H-E-double hockey sticks is wrong with this thing?!?

Dan suggested maybe my brake drum lugs were worn. I towed the car over to Bill's, we pulled the engine, and when disassembling the transmission discovered that some moron (me) had not safety wired the clutch drum bolt and the bolt had backed itself completely out. So the clutch drum was just free floating up and down the shaft and the bolt had just been kinda rattling around in there. *face palm*

Here are pics of the brake drum lugs. I think I can just file these babies smooth and then they'll be fine. What do y'all think? I think that clutch drum moving up and down the shaft along with the bolt moving around is what was locking me up in high.

Now, I have a 4 dip pan, so I could go to a wide brake drum, Dan has one for me (or is supposed to be finding for me lol) but that means I have to pay for a new to me wide brake drum, a new wide band, and a different hogshead. Which, is doable, but, if I can just clean these lugs up it would save me a bunch of money. But, y'all tell me what you think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

I wish I could come across drums as good!
A light file and your good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Seth, agree with Frank. Those are very good. I would not even file them. Since the problem has been identified, I would just put it back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

I guess that's part of my question: could the bolt floating around get sandwiched, maybe between brake and clutch drum arms make the assembly lock up like it was in high gear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, August 27, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Likely the disc drum moving rearward allowed a disc to fall in between the brake drum and disc drum locking things up. Its happened to me. When you put things back together find a disc drum that is a press fit on the trans shaft. Don't rely solely of the set screw to keep things right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 02:28 am:

Hi Seth,

I must join the chorus with Frank and Jim; your drum is good. I have seen drums come out of running engines that have been WAY worse than yours. Count your blessings and reassemble. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 09:14 am:

Would a little filing on the lugs hurt, even if they're not yet bad enough to be a problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Hi Steve,

No, I don't think that a wee bit of filing to clean up the lugs would hurt. I've just seen so many drums with lugs worn so badly that the discs could and would catch in the grooves that to see a drum like Seth's in comparison is "almost" like a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 09:56 am:

Thanks for the input everyone. Will lightly file, just enough to kind of smooth it out.

Also, will measure the transmission shaft and see if I can find a tighter clutch drum. The one I had I was able to work off the shaft with just my fingers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Those look fine as the other guys said. Maybe just go on with the reassembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

This weekend at a tractor/engine show i was looking at some iron pile and i saw a never used one with a tiny sand hole in the band surface. I gave two dollars for it! When i asked the price of a good USA I beam trolley about 5 ton the man said 50.00 and a good heavy USA chain hoist 2 ton went with it!When i was loading in the pickup i noticed a Harris combo cutting/welding torch with hoses and nice Victor regs for 30.00 and the very large heating head with rosebud was on top of the box.We ran the T all over till it rained.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 02:02 am:

Ken,
You could fill the hole with JB Weld so it doesn't catch on the band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Seth. Your lugs don't look bad at all. While you have the brake drum out, maybe you could put 1926-27 lug shoes on. When Lang's and Snyder's sell rebuilt drums, they have the shoes pressed onto the rebuilt drum. You can buy a set of lug shoes from the venders. They are not expensive. I don't know if this will work for you. Ask the vender technician before you order.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration