Teddy was a rough rider

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Teddy was a rough rider
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 12:32 am:

Responses to my posting about returning a TT truck to Nevada have prompted me to share a story. My father bought a wooden cab TT in about 1952 from a furniture dealer, after which he used it to deliver furniture for them in Glendale, Ca. Dad and his buddies called it the Teddy truck because Teddy was a rough rider, referring to Teddy Roosevelt. The truck had solid rubber tires, so you can see why. I have only a couple old pics, but I can tell you it was a factory built cab and bed for the early TT. At some point dad got a deal on some 33x5 pneumatic tires. He backed the TT into the shed and changed them out. On the way out the top jammed up under the doorway. He had to take the tires off and reinstall them outside. Dad got into his first scrape with the law when he hung his uncle's 1940 Mercury plates on it after uncle Bob was declared lost in action as a submariner during WWII. Turns out the cop didn't think dad's TT looked like a 40 Mercury. Cost dad twenty bucks, a fair bit of change in those days. OK, so bear with me, guys. In 1954 dad worked for the Knickerbocker plastic company in L.A. making plastic squirt guns and novelties. He got off work a 4 AM. Being too broke to have a good battery, he was cranking the Teddy Truck, facing East as it happened. There was this flash, for a second it was daylight. It was one of the last above ground nuke tests in the southwest. Dad said that image of the TT cab back lighted in that flash would never leave his brain. I am happy to say that dad is here with me right now and we are talking about it. He sold the Teddy truck and it was restored and went Colorado in the late 1960's. It is still out there somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:23 am:

Good stuff Erik B, good stuff.
I miss my dad. He has been gone 13 years now. He had so many stories I heard so many times. I sometimes enjoy telling them myself. But I would really like to hear them all again.
Thank you for sharing a couple of yours.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

Erik's Dad has a ton of stories to tell; he's a neat guy with lots of various interests--with Erik, the apple didn't fall far from the tree! I feel privileged to know those two! Heck, there's a lot of folks here that are really neat to be with too!
Now the radiation blast MIGHT explain a few things. . . .
Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

LOL! I had the same thought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Wow a company in the USA that made plastic squirt guns and novelties

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Dpug.
You forget Wham-O--built on the sale of hula-hoops! Which, in themselves, were an accident. Used to be lots of stuff was injected molded in the states--even in Califunny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason - UT on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Erik,
Do you have a picture you could post? I love the wooden cab TTs. I have one myself

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

I'm lucky I got to meet Erik last November.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 28, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Funny the stuff you remember, and don't. I know KTLA showed Nevada nuclear tests live, but I don't recall seeing them. A Google check reveals why. They happened before we got a TV. Dad wouldn't spring for a television until the transcontinental coaxial cable was completed and you could get the World Series live on the west coast. So we didn't get a TV until fall of 1952.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:11 am:

I have a photo I will scan and upload.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, August 29, 2016 - 01:57 am:

Steve,
We didn't get TV until '59 or '60. I remember coming home from Kindergarten and listening to the radio, I think The Lone Ranger! When they put up a crude cable system in Dunsmuir we got free cable in exchange for the cable right-of-way across our resort. THREE, count 'em, THREE channels!!! Dad bought a Zenith B&W 17" set, and when I moved to Oroville in 1980, that's the TV we had! Kinda wish I'd saved it. . . .
Erik, Great, photo will be appreciated!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration